Hardware
Not connected: you are currently not connected to any network
3 min read
Lorrilo
Topic Starter
Hi
This is the problem I have had for months, on and off, with my laptop: I try to connect to the internet - wireless - and it says: Nor connected: you are currently not connected to any network. So I click to connect and the message is: Windows cannot find any network. I click on diagnose and repair and the message is: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter local area connection. Sometimes it's a different message but this is the one I've got today. The issue is that it cannot find any connection.
I don't have a clue what to do!
Background: Laptop: Medion; (connects through computer upstairs) got it back to factory settings a couple of days ago, and everything seemed perfect - although most of the time it has been downloading updates. When I clicked on my wireless button, I got the message that it was on or off (as it used to be when I first got the machine) and the wireless light would come on or go off accordingly. I came back from work today, switched laptop on and no connection; when I click on the wireless button, no change, the light stays on but no connection, I know i could do a system restore but there were 89 updates done yesterday so I won't know which one, if any, is responsible. Back in May, I had the same problem and I had to switch my laptop on and off for up to 1/2 hour pressing the wireless key on and off and suddenly it would find a connection.
Can anybody help as it is getting so frustrating! (I'm writing this on my son's laptop so I know that wireless connections are available!!)
Thank you
Doug
You could uninstall and reinstall your wireless adapter driver.
Has the upstairs wireless access point / router been moved? or maybe the position of the antennae been moved?
You could check to be sure that no furniture was moved around upstairs that could be creating an obstacle to the wireless radio transmission.
Since this is beginning to be holiday season, even decorations with tinfoil might create a barrier.
Ztruker
So the upstairs computer has the actual broadband connection, either DSL or Cable, right.
How are you sharing it with the computer downstairs? Are you using ICS?
I would strongly recommend buying a Wireless Router and letting it take care or providing internet access. You can buy one for $20 to $200, see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….amp;x=0&y=0
How are you sharing it with the computer downstairs? Are you using ICS?
I would strongly recommend buying a Wireless Router and letting it take care or providing internet access. You can buy one for $20 to $200, see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….amp;x=0&y=0
Doug
That "button" on the front edge of your laptop, that you press to turn on wireless… it could be broken?
Jkc73
Hi Lorrilo,
Regards,
Jkc73
I have just added a wireless network at home and had to research quite a bit to make sure that it was going to function the way I intended, (Safe, Secure and Reliable).
In my research I found a few very useful sites, though IMHO none better then Practicallynetworked.com
You should find everything your looking for with regards to Networking and troubleshooting.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Regards,
Jkc73
Lorrilo
Thanks to you all.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a few times. The wireless modem is linked to the uptairs computer and has not been moved nor furniture added or moved. After sending my question last night, I switched my laptop on and off a few times and it did work; but then it crashed (laptop just turned off without warning!) and could not connect again! I will try the sites mentionned.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI