This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing network protocols Windows 10

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Since the November Windows update, I cannot network my computers (Asus, HP, Surface) (All computers up to date as of 4/18/16).  When I diagnose connection problems, I get the following error:  0x80070035.  Further troubleshooting gets the message that “network protocols are missing.”  Others seem to have similar issues, particularly establishing and maintaining internet connections (Google "missing network protocols").  I have no problem with internet, just in trying to link my computers to transfer files.  I have tried all the steps listed on this website: 

 

http://appuals.com/best-fix-one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing/  

 

As well as several others. Nothing seems to work.  Some suggest it is a Winsock error.  I have problems both with trying to connect wirelessly and with using an ethernet patch cable.  Same error messages.  I have tried starting up in safe mode with networking, but that then cannot even see second computer.  Any thoughts??? 

Thanks, Rich.  Unfortunately, that was one of the solutions I tried also.  When you set out to solve a problem, you don't think to make a list of all the things you try that fail because you think that the next one will solve it.  I had also seen that thread.  I've tried pretty much everything that comes up when you Google, hence my posting here.

 

Peace,

Jeremy

One thing you could try is Windows Repair All-In-One (free version).
 
Use the portable version and nothing needs to be installed.
Take the defaults and let it run. Takes 10 to 20 minutes to run. Does a lot but causes no harm and often fixes weird problems like this.

Just found something that resolved this for me.

 

Open Control Panel, Credential Manager.

Click on Windows credentials.

Click on Add a Windows credential.

Enter computer name in Internet or network address (in my case this was Desktop, I was on my Laptop).

Enter userid and Password of the target, the non MS account computer.

Click OK.

 

That's all it took. I can now share files and folders in both directions.

Rich,

 

thanks for sticking with me on this. Actually downloaded the All in One tool and ran it.  All the components, including running the repair tool twice as recommended.  Actually took a couple of hours, but no problem except that it didn't fix the problem.  When I went to the Credential Manager on my ASUS and my Surface Pro, they already had credentials.  The Pro said:

 

Network address:  JEREMYSASUS

User Name: JEREMYSASUS\HomeGroupUser$

Password: ……….

 

The Password was hidden, but I'm assuming it was the HomeGroup password, which is the same on both machines.  And the ASUS was similar, just for the Pro.  And, no, I don't seem to be able to access through HomeGroup either.

 

By the way, both machines are using the same MS Account. 

 

I guess now that I've run the All In One Tool, I need to go back and run some of the solutions that didn't work before to see if they will work now. 

 

I'll keep plugging away at this.  Sure is frustrating.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Jeremy

Are you using Homegroup or Workgroup? Homegroup is a different setup which I've never used.

 

I think this is wrong: JEREMYSASUS\HomeGroupUser$

Should be: HomeGroupUser$

 

On my Desktop running Win 10 Pro X64, mine is:

Laptop

User name: [removed]   (this is a Microsoft Account)

Password: ********

Persistence; Enterprise

 

Laptop is running Win 10 Pro X64 insider build 1511 14316

 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI