Hello,
I registered here just now in hopes of finding an answer to my internet problem. I've been browsing everything I could think of online to fix it for the past 3-4 hours and no success.
My problem: When I try to connect through the LAN line or wireless all I get is the "limited of no connectivity" balloon on the bottom right on the task bar.
What I have done so far to try and fix the problem:
I originally had Windows SP3 on my computer and uninstalled that because I thought that may have been the problem so I'm back on SP 2.
I've tried that WinSock clearing thing with Netsch or something like that by downloading the program and running it. (I also tried it in the command prompt screen.) Neither worked.
I downloaded the patch from Windows that supposedly fixes this problem for SP2 and added an update to the registry (this was all described on the Windows site); that did not work either.
Thanks so much in advance for any help you guys can give me.
How far away is the wireless network your trying to connect to? It could be that your out of range. Also have you every successfully connected to a different wireless network, or the same one earlier?
Talin: thanks, I'll check those out and let you know how it works
Vectrin: I'm in the same room about 5-6 feet away from the wireless box thing. I'm using the desktop for internet to access this site right now and am trying to fix my laptop.
Tonka: How do you power cycle everything down and back up?
Thanks all.
Tallin: I already tried doing what was said in the Troubleshooting Link you gave me and that did not work. I don't know how I'd be able to receive any Automatic Updates since I cannot get connected to the internet. Right now I'm looking through that thread you posted.
Tonka: How do you power cycle everything down and back up?
Thanks all.
It's just fancy way to say turn everything off and then back on in a certain order.
Shut down all computers connected to the network, shutdown (unplug) router, shutdown (unplug) modem.
This is for a common home network, mine is PC's (wireless and wired) — Router —- Broadband modem.
Wait 10minutes.(Times varie but you want everything to comletily reset)
For start up, 2 ways to go. Most common I've found is, turn on or plug in Modem, wait 2-5mins, turn on or plug in router, again wait
Those wait are for the equipment to get it informations and be assigned addresses.
(the other way is to start the router 1st and then the modem, some isp's register the routers mac information and assign it the addressess it needs)
Then start by turning on one computer at a time testing each as they come up.
I would begin with the problem PC (laptop).
Then move to the desktop (even if the laptop was still have trouble)
If that doesn't fix it we can continue from there.
Both Tallin, and vectris are very good at figuring this thing out.
I would suggest you run an SFC scan to see that your Operating System has no missing .dll files. To do this, please follow below:
Windows Protected System File Checker SFC
Start
Run
type:sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed
There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
_______
SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.
For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
_________
The above is certainly worth a try, if you get no report at the end, all is well.
I ran the scan and nothing really happened. It just scanned it and never asked for the bootup CD and never popped up any warning signals or anything. I assume that means everything is intact then?
Two comments, firstly I am surprised no OS CD was asked for, and secondly, if all was well with the SFC Scan, then no report comes up at the end. How long did the scan take? it should have taken about 45 minutes. I would do the SFC Scan again, but this time insert your OS CD first before you start the scan and see if that makes any difference,
Did you disconnect the router from the power source? after turning off all computers connected to it, wait 20 seconds before plugging in the router again and booting up your computer? All in Post #7.
Can you see the connection icon in Quick Launch near the clock? If you can, right click on it and take the option 'Repair'. What happens when you do that please?
The SFC Scan actually was quite quick (5-10 mins). I ran it twice actually because I was surprised it said nothing was missing. I'm going to run it again by putting the disk in first.
I did disconnect the router from the power source (ours is a router and modem thing in one I guess: the computer is connected to the box, which is connected to phone line I think; we have DSL). I waited several minutes before restarting everything up but that did not work.
The connection is in the lower right with the little yellow exclamation point balloon saying limited or no connectivity. I've tried repairing several times (both the wireless and the LAN line) but it says it was not able to do so successfully.
Here's a more detailed background of the events leading up to this problem:
Everything had been working fine, and then shortly after installing SP3 it looked as if I had been infected by a Trojan. I researched several sites and forums such as this for people who had similar problems. Virtually everything I read said it was a false positive detected by AVG Antivirus (the program I had been running). I had also ran Spyware Doctor a couple times to try and catch it but all scans were clean. However, my computer was still running quite slow. I figured I'd just kind of do a clean-out on my computer since I had a bunch of junk and it was worthlessly slow at the time. (I was able to operate normally and access internet in safe mode during this time). I deleted numerous programs of mine that were rarely used (quite a few plugins for recording software, other junk programs I had and AVG because I figured I'd just install it later once I got everything working again). I the went into msconfig through the Run menu to remove all of the checked startup programs except for my firewall and two others I believe. After this, the computer began operating normally as before, except for the problems with the internet, and it was after this that the internet stopped working, if I am remembering correctly. Since internet had stopped working I reset my msconfig to startup normally as before (selecting "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services)), but still am having the same internet problems as before. Then I created an account here and that's where you came in.
Same results for the SFC Scan. (Actually I guess the first two times I ran it it took the same amount of time.) They were all about 25-30 minutes. Again, no reoprt screen or anything, no popups, it just exited when finished and I started this one with the XP disk in prior to running the scan.