Hi, been away from pcs for a while, and while not the most conversant with the inner workings, I hope you'll bear with me while I explain my predicament.
I initially had Windows 7 on my system, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I hadn't used my computer in over eighteen months. When I next went to use it, everything was wrong with it. It wouldn't boot up properly, etc. Anyway, it was taken to a well-known repair service and, because Windows 7 was the OS, they said it would have to be upgraded to Windows 10, as it was out of date.
So they fixed the computer, and I now have Windows 7 and Windows 10, BUT, here's my question: In Network Adaptors, should there not be a Lan Adaptor, a Wireless Network Adaptor, as well as whatever all those WAN Miniports are for? If so, it seems the Wireless Network Adaptor has been forgotten about on this occasion, as I found out when I tried to connect wirelessly as I now have to, just yesterday, and couldn't.
Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley93
Sadly, you told us almost nothing about this computer.
But I will note that most PCs, especially older ones (and if it originally had W7 on it, it is old), don't come with a wifi adapter. This is because a PC, or desktop computer is not a mobile device. So they come with an Ethernet/wired NIC (network interface card) but rarely a wifi adapter. For wifi access, an adapter typically has to be added - as either a card or a USB device.
So do you know for certain this computer even has a wireless adapter?
Is this a factory built or self built computer? If factory, what is the make and model number. If self or custom built, what is the motherboard brand and model number and, if not integrated into the motherboard, what is the wifi adapter brand and model number?
Morning to you, and thank you for your reply. Sorry those details are missing. Recently moved house and not everything is where it should be at present. Have taken note of what you have said, and will have a look for relevant papers. Desktop not a self-build, and did not have an OS when I got it. I specifically asked for there not to be an OS, as I had Windows 7 Pro to put on it at the time and it has since been updated to Windows 10, but I would I need any paperwork for it to give you more details.
I'll speak to you later. For now, thank you again for your help, it's put my mind somewhat at ease.
Many thanks
hedley93
Hi, sorry, no luck with paperwork yet. Unfortunately, not at the receiving end of the house-move, but, not to worry, they'll turn up.
Anyway, one thing I have noticed, maybe it's with not having used the pc for a while; the date in the notification area is now at August 28th 2021. I have not used the pc since it was updated to Windows 10, because of my better half's on-going ill health, but I'm sure they would have set the correct date on it at the time, which was March 2021. Perhaps there might be something needs changed there? As far as I know you have to be connected to the internet to change the clock, or is there something else that can be done to change the date/time? That seems to be an obstacle in updating the driver for a usb wireless adaptor, too.
Your remarks would be appreciated, as always, thank you.
hedley
You said the computer is not self built - so was it factory built? If so, is there no brand and model number on a sticker somewhere?
Since the computer was turned off and presumably unplugged for so long, the time drifted, a lot. That suggests the CMOS battery, which typically also powers the RTC (real-time clock) may be getting weak. A weak CMOS battery can also affect user changes to the BIOS Setup menu.
You can change the date and time without being connected to the Internet by booting into the BIOS Setup menu. Or you should be able to right-click on the system tray clock and select Adjust date/time.
Once the date and time are correctly set, watch the clock carefully over the next couple days. It should stay pretty accurate. If it drifts more than, I don't know, a few seconds a day, I would change the battery.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Will check out pc for details, and try fixing the clock in the bios as you suggest, first thing tomorrow and see how things go.
Thanks again for the help, always appreciated.
hedley
Hi again, okay, got the time/date changed in the Bios, thank you very much for that. Info on the pc: an Asus AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 8B Ram, Win 10 Pro 64bit x 64-based processor. Running 3 internal Sata hard drives and 2 external usb hard drives. Hope that is something like the info you were looking for?
On the issue of connecting wirelessly, I have a Belkin usb adaptor which, when connected to either front or back of the pc, seems to end up in Other Devices under Device Manager, rather than Network Adaptors. Where would my problems start there, please, and how would I resolve them.
Thank you again for your help, very timely, as always.
hedley93
I am glad you got it sorted out but please understand that forums like What The Tech work by folks sharing what they have learned so others can benefit from their learning experience.
You says you got it sorted out helps no one who may come searching for answers with the problem you had.
Hi, I had moved into a house where there was already an existing broadband connection. My desktop pc is in the bedroom, but told me I did not have any connection. On contacting their isp, the householder was told another socket could be installed for £125. Unfortunately, this call was disconnected somewhere along the line before the end of the call and on re-dialling, the call went through to a different office, who said all the person needed was 2 broadband extenders which would allow the pc to connect with the router.
It was then a case of waiting for the extenders to arrive, at which point I was then able to connect my pc to the internet once again. The extenders were £29.
Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
hedley