This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dell PSU

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ok flickering on 2 different monitors rules out the monitor, so just leaves the pc or lead as the problem.

 

yes remove the graphics card and see if you have flickering, if it's gone then that would mean the problem will have something to do with the graphics card so we can concentrate on that.

 

don't forget to remove the power cord from the psu and hold down the power button for 10 seconds before opening the case just to remove all residual power that may damage something when your working inside it.

 

:popcorn:

https://youtu.be/x7PcTXHqqxg

 

 

I just thought you might like to see an uncomplicated video regarding the PSU.

 

If it does not conform to forum rules let me know so I can remove it, please.

 

I am a bit shy about the video card. If it comes out and does not flicker using just the on board, I would have to buy a new one and would not like to do that on this old machine. I do not know if the quality of the on board card is decent.

If it flickers again with the card out I would have to reinstall it with no place to look.

Having never done this I am unsure of my self. There appears to be a screw behind the tower external to the card so will look at the manual regarding uninstalling for information purposes. I don't then know if I have to do any thing with the NVidea software if the card is removed.

I need to read and think about it.   One screw and pull?

 

PS I checked the manual for the dell XPS 8300 and it said to remove the top sews of the cards bracket but mine does not have these. As the gent at Micro center showed me there is a screw in the back. I guess you just pull the card up -or the bracket? 

If it was straight forward i may try but it seems contradictory. I also did not know if this is a component that requires re-pasting.

I am going to check the cost of a card.

if you take the card out and it does not flicker, i really don't see a reason why you'd need to replace it with another video card, i don't think you need the extra processing power a dedicated graphics card gives you, also if you do decide to buy a replacement then the replacement can also be used in your new build if when you get around to it.
 

One screw and pull?

 
no but the removal is easy enough, the screw your talking about (i think, there are a number of slightly different solutions depending on case and how they hold the cards brackets in place. usual though is to have a single screw hole for each card slot. ) just helps hold the card steady, it connects the bracket of the card to the case to stop any side ways wobble of the card in it's slot. of course you need to remove the screw but that it is not the part holding the card in place, on the slot there is a lever or catch at the back that will either need to be pressed or pulled so the card can then be lifted out. examples at the bottom of post.
 
fitting the card is easy enough, the bottom of the bracket over hangs the side of the motherboard then the card will line up with the slot, now gently push down and it will lock in place then put the screw back that holds the top of the bracket to the case and that's it all finished, not forgetting to connect any needed power leads to it, not all card need extra power leads connected.
 

PS I checked the manual for the dell XPS 8300 and it said to remove the top sews of the cards bracket but mine does not have these.

yes it does that is the single screw you've been talking about, larger cards that take up more than a single slot may have 2 screws holding the bracket in place.
 

I also did not know if this is a component that requires re-pasting.

no it's just a plug and play part, so to speak.
 
ok removing the card and everything doesn't flicker, doesn't mean the card is bad maybe just re-installing it will also cure the flicker. it might just be making a bad contact at the moment and removing and reseating it will fix things too.
 
first thing i'd try though is to use different cables and adaptors to connect the pc to the monitor, no point opening it up if it's the cable or adaptor that is faulty.
 
How to install a graphics card :- http://www.pcworld.com/article/2913370/how-to-install-a-graphics-card.html
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZI4HFOizY
 
long but should tell you everything you'd need to know about graphics cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJ0f_A_mBg
 
:popcorn:

 

don't know if it's mentioned in any of the links/videos but sometimes you may also run into situations where the card has a separate sound connection/wire that runs from the motherboard to the card, can't say it's usual but some cards were built needing that fitted before they would output sound through it's monitor connections. just something else to look out for though.

I now know that a dedicated card has its own Ram like my card and an integrated card uses the system's Ram.
Thank you for the instructions on removal.
I might see the integrated card working as well if not better than the dedicated one.
As you mentioned reseating the dedicated card may do the trick. I have switched cables & I have tried three of them.
Thank you

was making an edit so don't know if you read it, but you also need to try different adaptors, if you use any, to get your video out to the monitor. eg. dvi to vga adaptor or dvi to hdmi adaptor

 

they can also be the source of any problems.

 

:popcorn:

I have two similar blue VGA ports on my PC but only one works with the cable to the VGA port on the monitor. I do not know what the other is although the VGA connector fits into it.but nothing happens - could be for dual monitors?

I have DVI on the monitor but to my knowledge not on the PC.

 

I think you are suggesting I get an adapter so I can plug a DVI cable from the monitor to the PC. 

 

Right now, since I cleared out the insall2 NVidea folder, and installed the latest driver, there is no flickering. I will Google those adapters to find the one I need and order one with a cable if the flickering returns. I was anxious to fiddle with the card but am confident I can do it if necessary.

Changing from VGA to DVI is a good option and thanks a lot. I think the install2 folder was too full and NVidea needed a thorough cleaning.

I should have uninstalled before installing and I knew better -as the kids these days say,"My bad."

You are a good detective/trouble shooter.

I thought you  might find this of interest. I was at the NVidea site/community and a lot of GE Force users were saying that with Win 10 their NVidea cards were bricked. They were asking if Windows or NVidea was going to buy a new card.

I found that uninstalling NVidea changes by the moment and there are a lot of caveats about it.

 

I used Wise uninstaller to remove drivers first then all but Physx and after downloading the newest driver, rebooted, Then installed the new driver. I have asked if this could be done as they have new ways of doing it almost weekly. A Add/remove>custom I think was the last.

My flickering is totally gone with the last update and the installer2 folder purged; I am lucky. As i said i thought you might find this of use as we have spent so much time with it.

What card do you prefer, for future reference?.

 

I have two similar blue VGA ports on my PC but only one works with the cable to the VGA port on the monitor. I do not know what the other is although the VGA connector fits into it.but nothing happens - could be for dual monitors?

I have DVI on the monitor but to my knowledge not on the PC.

sounds like the card only has only a single monitor output connection on it which is vga, and the 2nd vga connection is probably orientated in a different direction and is the one connected to the motherboard, this second one will be disabled when the card is installed and why it doesn't work at the moment but when no card is installed it would be the connection for the monitor.

 

 

I think you are suggesting I get an adapter so I can plug a DVI cable from the monitor to the PC.

no, you do not need one, what i was saying is IF you did use one then it also would need to be replaced just to rule that out as a problem.

 

 

Right now, since I cleared out the insall2 NVidea folder, and installed the latest driver, there is no flickering.

great news.

 

 

I will Google those adapters to find the one I need and order one with a cable if the flickering returns. I was anxious to fiddle with the card but am confident I can do it if necessary.

Changing from VGA to DVI is a good option and thanks a lot. I think the install2 folder was too full and NVidea needed a thorough cleaning.

don't bother you don't need one.

 

you only need an adaptor when you having connection conflicts. eg. if your pc only uses dvi connections and you monitor only has a vga connection, in that case you would need a dvi to vga adaptor or cable.

 

now everything is working great "DO NOT UPDATE DRIVERS" remember the old rule if it's not broken don't fix it!!!

 

 

What card do you prefer, for future reference?.

personally i like nvidia cards but that is only because they have a better reputation for working linux drivers, on a windows pc any card would do, nvidia or ati/amd depending on what games you played, some games work better with amd cards and some work better with nvidia but for non gamers any brand card will do and just buy the best your budget allowed.

 

:popcorn:

 

had a thought and realised windows 10 might update your graphics drivers, so you may need to stop it doing so. info on how is in below links.

 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-windows-update-automatic-updates-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiFsuTmle7LAhWETSYKHXmzDVcQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbetanews.com%2F2015%2F07%2F26%2Fwindows-10s-automatic-updates-for-nvidia-drivers-could-break-your-computer%2F&usg=AFQjCNFPEu8tpcX6oNKMhtMQYSNxP1nB9g

 

I had already attended to one of the four so thank you. It is a tough dilemma b/c it is not the NVidea update which would be singular and easy to handle.  It is the Windows update if the NVidea community is accurate.

I hope the above link is enlightening.

I think the most specific means was choosing how the updates are downloaded and turned apps off. 

It does not affect anything else yet hopefully gets the job done.

I wonder who Brink is? He is involved in so many tutorials and seems to be so savvy about pcs?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI