Dell Dimension 2350 won't start. I have tried two other PSU I know were good and neither one of them worked, either. The Green LED next to where the power cable plugs into the motherboard is green and lit, indicating power to the board. There are no diagnostic lights lighting up on the back of the machine.
I've removed the one card that was in it, reseated the memory and the power cables. Still it won't boot.
Ideas?
Hi
If you are sure everything is wired up correctly, it looks like power is getting to the motherboard,( green light) however if you say no fans are spinning this is worrying as the PSU fan should be spinning…..
Are you sure the PSU fan is not spinning?
if its not this indicates a fault in the PSU''do you have access to a PSU tester or a mobo tester?, …
If the PSU fan is spinning then you have probably a mobo/cpu fault as the CPU fan should also be spinning…….
Regards
paws
Everything is wired up correctly, but none of the fans spin. I've "jumped" the green wire going to the mobo with a black wire and fans spin at that point, but otherwise no fans spin. I've swtiched outt he PSU for a spare and still no fans spun. Switched out a the spare PSU for another spare PSU and still nothing…
I do not have a PSU tester or a mobo tester, but I've tried three PSUs on the same Mobo to no difference. PSUs worked in other machines.
The previous owner reported a catastrophic failure but was told it was the hard drive by a "reputable" company and the company recommended she purchase a new computer. I thought I could revive it. I'm thinking the hard drive was fine, it was the mobo or CPU and they took her for a ride…
The fan on the PSU should start…… have you checked the wiring of the switch on the case? and the wiring to the mobo (main power connector?.)
Are you sufficiently knowlegable and experienced to safely I repeat safely use a voltmeter to check nominal voltages?
Regards
paws
PS if not then its best to take it to a competent local repairer for an estimate….don't take any risks, there is more than enough voltage/current to kill you if you get it wrong!
None of the PSUs (I tried three, the one that came with the computer and two spares I have) fans started on this board. However, all PSU fans started on other boards and those boards started up. Its just this one that it does not.
It is conceivable it is a bad switch.
If the wiring to the mobo is bad, its on the mobo side. The PSU worked on another board.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI