percylovely
Topic Starter
Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 5150 running Windows XP. Recently, when trying to switch it on, it sometimes turns green for a second or two and then switches off. A bit like a car that is struggling to start when you turn the key in the ignition. Sometimes, after a few goes, it finally turns itself on. But more often than not, it won't start and the computer switch will flash amber, instead of a constant green.
I looked at what reviewcentre.com had to say about my PC and it seems that this is not an uncommon problem.
Here is what they say about it.
The first review on the page explains it better than I can:
"The PSU has failed. The green LED on the motherboard remains illuminated but the power switch flashes amber. Sometimes the computer boots up after a few minutes. When the power is switched off the same problem happens again. Replace the PSU with a ATX 305W PSU. No need to buy Dell, get a cheaper PSU £23.00 from a computer shop. Check it has 24pin connector etc. Do not buy on ebay second hand ….. they look OK but the internal trigger is probably broken and your Dell will flash amber!"
So what I wanted to know was, does this advice given seem OK to you. Or could there be another reason the computer doesn't start? And how do you go about replacing a PSU. Or should I ask someone to do it for me?
I have a Dell Dimension 5150 running Windows XP. Recently, when trying to switch it on, it sometimes turns green for a second or two and then switches off. A bit like a car that is struggling to start when you turn the key in the ignition. Sometimes, after a few goes, it finally turns itself on. But more often than not, it won't start and the computer switch will flash amber, instead of a constant green.
I looked at what reviewcentre.com had to say about my PC and it seems that this is not an uncommon problem.
Here is what they say about it.
The first review on the page explains it better than I can:
"The PSU has failed. The green LED on the motherboard remains illuminated but the power switch flashes amber. Sometimes the computer boots up after a few minutes. When the power is switched off the same problem happens again. Replace the PSU with a ATX 305W PSU. No need to buy Dell, get a cheaper PSU £23.00 from a computer shop. Check it has 24pin connector etc. Do not buy on ebay second hand ….. they look OK but the internal trigger is probably broken and your Dell will flash amber!"
So what I wanted to know was, does this advice given seem OK to you. Or could there be another reason the computer doesn't start? And how do you go about replacing a PSU. Or should I ask someone to do it for me?