A group of people said my PSU readings are so low they are surprised it boots. I have no idea how I change a new PSU for this machine as Dell is so mavericky. I am near a Micro center so I will call but I do not see Dell on the web there.
Could you check my readings if I show you Speecy and confirm. And then if it is necessary to replace perhaps someone could help me find the right part.
usually the voltage tolerance is +/- 5% , so for example the 12v reading can be anywhere from 11.4v to 12.6v
can't say how accurate speccy is at reading the voltages but personally i see no reason to change the psu unless you're having problems, the psu in that machine is an atx 460watt from a quick search, so any atx psu can be used with 460w or higher specs.
Here what I have to date. Please notice my link to my motherboard.
Your problem is your Power supply. The rail readings are so low it a wonder the computer boots up. Your 3.3v is reading 2.832v
Your 5v is reading 2.843v
Your 12v is reading 11.232.
This I believe is the cause of all your issues. When a Power supply gets below 11.700v on the 12v rail
every hardware component on your computer is trying to function with too little wattage, hence crazy things start happening like flickering your having. Not only that, all your rail readings are down badly.
Next problem is Dell power supplies are a smaller size than normal power supplies so that causes a problem locating one.
Your PC came with a 460 watt power supply. Maybe staff can locate one on EBAY for you.
Then you need to take the computer to a computer shop to have it fitted.
Compare my rail readings in the example I posted compared to yours and it's obvious your Power supply is Cactus.
Micro center carries the PSU I am looking for. I know you won't agree with my choice but a tech who was waiting installed a 500 watt for free. I had a 450 so I figured a 5 year old PC can do with a PSU with 50 more watts than it originally had. The fan is a bit noisier but it is the nature of the unit.
I want to thank you all for all your help.
It appears I will live with the flickering. I have the RAM installed but am not sure the OS sees it. The driver for the NVidea card is up to date.
Considering the age and shape of both me and the PC, I think we are doing the best we can.
if installing a new psu didn't fix your problems then, the problem wasn't the psu in the first place.
you seem to have removed the speccy link so can't check how much ram is seen by your pc to see if it's what is in the pc (not that you've said), as to the "flickering" without knowing more about it and trying to find the cause then yes you'll have to live with it, but just for info, hardware wise it could be a monitor problem, it could be a graphics card problem or software wise just might be wrong settings (refresh rate.) or drivers.
I installed the latest NVidea update and is is doing well. The specs on the PSU were lower than should be so I exchanged it; it was not to fix the flickering.
I am curious what is a refresh rate?
PS tween you and I the biopsy was positive so I have some work to do[4th tumor]. If plans go well I may still go for it as I am getting very familiar with the parts thanks to you. I have had most of my parts off the board. The 20 pin connector was a tough one but i got it. Gotta get better - no quitting.
sorry to hear about the positive results, my best wishes to you.
refresh rate is the number of times the picture is sent from the pc to the monitor in a second. so 60Htz means the picture is sent/renewed 60 times a second. on older crt monitors if the refresh rate was to low it looked like the screen was flickering and why they usually ran at 75htz or higher this really isn't a problem on lcd screens because they work in different ways.
I have the flat panel LCD - it is a Dell S234OM. I had one like it and thought it caused the flickering because I never had it with the other so I got one like it.
The exchange was fruitless.
Did I say something to throw you off. I know i read about the CRTs having issues so I guess I applied this thinking to the LCD?
My surge suppressors are a bit old so I may try another.
I have two, one plugged into the other to accommodate all the plugs from the PC, printer, 2 lamps, two external drives (which I only use when imaging), land line, gateway, router, smart phone charger.
There are a lot of things when you take a good look and I am going to play with that idea.
I will see if the card is seated properly. There is one screw holding it securely so I guess I could run the on board audio/video by removing the NVidea card if it came to that point. It is only a low end GE Force 420 and fully updated. I had to clear out the installer2 folder b/c I did not remove the old driver before installing the new. I now know better.
Thanks for sending the article; it covered most everything. I'll bet if I ran Win 7 which this pc came with a lot of issues including this would not exist but I do not want to go back to 7.