This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.WIM

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

 

I don't use dropBox; instead i cickuntil it downloads to my pc. i hope that is ok.

yes and no. :rofl:

 

the program your downloading is stored on dropbox so that's where your downloading it from.

 

yes

it is ok to click and download it, but and it's a big but in my opinion first you have to know and trust the author of said software, which of course you and ztrucker do.

 

no

comes in when you don't know and trust the author of the software your downloading.

dropbox is or should i say used to be a well known location for hackers and malware writers to store their programs for the unwary to download and infect their pc's, no idea what it's like now but still not a place i'd trust.

 

as to the program itself, from what i can see reading the options it more or less just lauches other programs or scrypts windows operating system commands that you could do yourself manually.

 

there's nothing i'd say is "new" about what it actually does except of course make things simpler for the end user. not something i'd personally need or use though.

 

:popcorn:

 

lots of news stories about dropbox being used to spead malware :- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dropbox+malware&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=bN92VoToIInPeP-ogfAO#q=news+dropbox+malware

think your still not understanding.

 

the program is stored on the dropbox site, so to download it you must visit the dropbox site and it then downloads from that site to you pc when you click on download.

 

:popcorn:

I get that logic put that way.

It was just that the downloaded material appeared to be in the download option to desktop. 

I will use Dropbox if necessary as I do have an account there, although I usually use Drive and Onedrive.

 

If I may, all is settled now but I was wondering what mounting had to do with the creation of my DVD?

It seems every time I mention creation of the DVD someone mentions mounting.

I am trying to keep my tasks simple.

You downloaded IMAGE_HEALTH.ZIP from KYHI's Dropbox account. That's the part Terry doesn't like as you never know what you are getting. That is a true statement but some people are trustworthy, like KYHI, Shawn Brink, you, Terry, myself, many folks on this and other forums, etc.

I understand Rich and all is well with this in my camp.

 

May I ask, When I click download I do see Dropbox but sometimes it opens so I can save to my desktop w/o Dropbox.

 

I guess the material I want is not in the download to my desktop even if it says so, or offers the choice, but in the material in KYHI's Dropbox account and that is where I go and log in - do I have that right?

 

I certainly do stir the pot- however, although at the cost of others, I am building a good learning folder. I won't learn surfing and emailing. I guess I am trying to catch up with a late start.

TQ

Peter 

When you get the save as dialogue, you are downloading from KYHI's account on Dropbox. You don't have to go there or login, just clicking the link starts the download from there.

 

You now have everything you need to run DISM with the source= parameter or use KYHI,s batch file contained in IMAGE_HEALTH.ZIP to do everything for you.

 

I guess the material I want is not in the download to my desktop even if it says so, or offers the choice, but in the material in KYHI's Dropbox account and that is where I go and log in - do I have that right?

 

I certainly do stir the pot- however, although at the cost of others, I am building a good learning folder. I won't learn surfing and emailing. I guess I am trying to catch up with a late start.

TQ

Peter

we're all still learning even though some may know more than others about different things/subjects. ;)

 

i think whats confusing you is that you have a dropbox account, so when you log in to dropbox it takes you to your account first where you can download or uploaded your own files/data to there in the first place so get options for that but as ztrucker said the program was uploaded to kyhi's dropbox account by him and then made public so anyone can download it without the need to log into dropbox.

 

think of dropbox as just a pc with massive amounts of hard drive storage space, now everyone with an user account can store their data on that pc but for others to be able to see and use it, it needs to be made "public" when that is done then anyone in the world can download it to their pc's without having to have a user account on the pc.

 

not having a dropbox account myself i don't know but it may be that when you click on any link to download something from dropbox because you have an account there you may automatically get the option first to login to your dropbox account.

 

 

If I may, all is settled now but I was wondering what mounting had to do with the creation of my DVD?

It seems every time I mention creation of the DVD someone mentions mounting.

I am trying to keep my tasks simple.

usually nothing in creating/burning a dvd from an iso image, mounting is only needed if you need to use/change the contents of the iso image.

 

for example you might download an iso image with all the windows files needed to create an install dvd but before it will work as a dvd maybe one or more files first need to be moved from a folder onto the "root" (just means not in any folders) of the iso image, so you would need to mount the image, move the files  and then burn the image to a dvd, if you didn't move the files first the dvd would not boot and start the install process like it should.

 

usually though in my experience an iso image needs nothing doing to it except burning to a dvd so it never needs to be mounted first.

 

another time you may need to mount an iso during the creation of a dvd is if you are making the iso yourself from files on your pc.

 

so first you'd create the iso file, mount it, (nothing in there yet.) then copy the needed windows files from your os into it and then you can burn it and have a dvd to install repair your pc.

 

:popcorn:

@Rich - OK I will follow those instructions - I just wanted to air the fact that when I click download although I see Dropbox, another box opens on the left prompting me to save to my PC. I will disregard it and just go with Dropbox.

 

@terry

I think I understand now. I doubt I will have any use to mount but I know the reason for it now. 

 

Thank you both for you continued support.

Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI