This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.Wim or .ESD

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I think .WIM offers more options like DISM but is not as compressed as .ESD.

I believe .ESD creates a smaller image .

 

Which ISO should be used ?

I have a..WIM ISO and created my current OS from it. If .ESD is a better choice, how do I convert my ISO and can my  OS be converted while installed?  It functions as .WIM but the image is quite large.

the os on your machine is going to be exactly the same whether you use an esd iso or wim iso to do the install, so personally i don't think it makes any difference which you use just as long as the iso fits on to whatever install medium your going to use,

 

for example a wim iso might be 6GB in size so won't fit on a single layer dvd where as the same image converted to esd iso might be only 4GB in size because of it's better compression so will.

 

see post 7 from here :- http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/44127-iso-esd-wim.html

 

think of it like this the iso contains all needed files to install the operating system and it's up to you what type of bottle you want to carry those files around in esd is a blue and smaller bottle wim is a green and larger bottle but at the end of the day when tipped out (installed onto a pc.) both bottles will contain exactly the same contents, same mass, same density, same volume, identical in every way.

 

:popcorn:

the os on your machine is going to be exactly the same whether you use an esd iso or wim iso to do the install, so personally i don't think it makes any difference which you use just as long as the iso fits on to whatever install medium your going to use,
 
for example a wim iso might be 6GB in size so won't fit on a single layer dvd where as the same image converted to esd iso might be only 4GB in size because of it's better compression so will.
 
see post 7 from here :- http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/44127-iso-esd-wim.html
 
think of it like this the iso contains all needed files to install the operating system and it's up to you what type of bottle you want to carry those files around in esd is a blue and smaller bottle wim is a green and larger bottle but at the end of the day when tipped out (installed onto a pc.) both bottles will contain exactly the same contents, same mass, same density, same volume, identical in every way.
 
:popcorn:


But since esd's be faster to load as it takes up less RAM and so less crashes too?

Although I rarely use the extended DISM commands I do use them therefore I use .WIM.

I now understand that it is the media that has the "guts" and that the OS has nothing to do with the media in that resect. It is the source I may need to fix an issue as to why I use .WIM.

TY

PS I have noticed my mouse is acting strangely. When I click to separate words all turns blue, not one spot,  then when I click again one line is blue so and the third click gets it right. Not always but more than ever before. I have no mouse to replace it and want to put no more money in this system. I don't know if this is typical of a failing MOBO or mouse. I have changed ports for the wireless stick.

 

But since esd's be faster to load as it takes up less RAM and so less crashes too?

can't say i've tested either but doubt very much it makes any difference, it's the read speed of the install media and the write speed to the hard drive that matters most when installing i'd say. and if you get crashes during install then i'd say you have a problem, either with hardware or the image itself and it's nothing really to do with which container type wim or esd being used.

 

 

Although I rarely use the extended DISM commands I do use them therefore I use .WIM.

pretty sure i read somewhere windows fixed the problem with using dism on esd too, may be wrong though.

found this guide which tested both.

 

I have tried using both MCT and TechBench, and in both cases the commands worked flawlessly, but I'm glad that you found one that worked. I have updated the article to reflect that you can also use TechBench to download the Windows 10 ISO, which might help other people as well.

Thanks,

:- http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

 

 

PS I have noticed my mouse is acting strangely. When I click to separate words all turns blue, not one spot,  then when I click again one line is blue so and the third click gets it right. Not always but more than ever before. I have no mouse to replace it and want to put no more money in this system. I don't know if this is typical of a failing MOBO or mouse. I have changed ports for the wireless stick.

probably nothing serious and just a failing mouse. they are cheap enough to buy and it's always a good idea to have a spare. just noticed it's a wireless mouse so maybe try new batteries, i'd still buy a cheap spare wired mouse though for testing and backup.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI