This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

2 windows installs when booting up new Windows 7 install

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I have just done a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on a formatted hard drive on a new computer.  Everything went swimmingly until it came to installing updates.  All 161 of them.  It installed 70 of them and didn't install 91.  When I restarted the computer, it started configuring it and then told me to put my disc back in and do a repair on the install. 

 

When I did this, the computer restarted, but I have a Windows 7 (recovered) install and a Windows 8.1 (recovered) install, wherever that came from!

 

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the Windows 8.1 (recovered) so that my computer boots straight into Windows 7 please.

 

I had a look in disk management and there are no partitions showing or anything like that, if that helps.

 

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

hedley

Hi, thanks for the reply.  No, I've never had Windows 8.  This is a completely new pc. There was no OS on it.  I installed the Windows 7 I was using on my previous pc.  As I said, I have no idea where that 8.1 came from.  It doesn't show in disk management or anywhere else that I can find.  Just in the boot up.

 

hedley

can you show us what partitions are on the drive, usually when the extra boot os is added it is because when doing the install it found another os on a different partition to the one it's installing into so adds it to the boot menu, like Ztrucker says tho using easybcd to delete the extra option will fix things for you anyway.

 

:popcorn:

Hi, terry 1966 & Ztrucker, thank you both for your replies.

I have just finished following Ztrucker instructions and have now got a system with only Windows 7 on the boot menu again, so it boots straight into Windows on boot up. Thank you Ztrucker for your help once again, always appreciated.

Terry1966, just to answer your question, there was only windows 7 partition showing on the disc in disc management, no other partitions were present. Thanks for your help, though. Appreciated, as always.
hedley

 

Sure would like to know where the the Windows 8 came from.

me too. :rofl:

 

 

Very strange indeed.

yep, can only think seeing how it's a new pc, it probably had windows 8 on there in the first place and windows 8 must be listed somewhere in the uefi and was somehow checked for and added to the hard drives bootloader, or something along those lines. :D

aren't the oem windows 8 and later os keys stored in uefi, so that might be something to do with it.

 

 

Glad you have it sorted out.

+1

 

 

Thanks for your help, though. Appreciated, as always.

my pleasure. :thumbup:

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI