This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Up and running but need to fix the partitions

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay, so previously, I had posted a problem installing the OS. I had resolved that issue, but before I could reinstall the OS, I had to merge all 3 partitions, the system partition, windows partition, and recovery partion, into one partition. This is because, I needed to do a Full Factory Restore, which notified me that it would only remove the data from the C drive, but I fould out that in the first installation, the recovery disk installed the OS on drive E and Drive C was the SYSTEM partion, which was only 1GB.

 

However, doing so, 2 additional problems occured. Firstly, after trying to do a System Update, it could not install properly, which caused a system fatal error. I was able to recover from that, but now, I see that I cannot create restore points because the Windows restore file is missing. In conclusion, I think these 2 problems were caused due to only having one partion. Would any one know how to fix this through Windows 7, or should I use Partion Wizard?

 

Edit: Link to previous thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128861

Did you ever resolve this issue?

No I have not. In fact, I think I am having some Windows issues due to this setup, and I cannot activate system restore.

I'm not a member of the Tech Team, but it seems to me that if you did a complete clean install… sometimes called a"nuke and pave"… everything should resolve itself. This would include a reformat of your drive so partitions shouldn't be an issue. Directions for this can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

My advice would be the fresh install… but there might be another option to try. This procedure isn't even as effective as a repair install… but it is something you could try. Everything this tool does can be done in Windows natively. It just leads you through various steps without you having to do through the individual commands.

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.


Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

[external image: p22002979.gif]



Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

[external image: p22002980.gif]


Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

[external image: p22002982.gif]


Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Leave all checkmarks as they're.
NOTE for Windows 8 users. Reset Registry Permissions is NOT checked by design.

Click on Start button.

[external image: p22003030.gif]

Post Windows Repair log (_windows_repair_log.txt) which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI