Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

URGENT BOOTING PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

I have two hard drives on my computer, the second drive was reformated and later installed windows in it. The idea was to remove that hard drive to be installed in another computer later. But now my computer won't start up with my regular hard drive, since it does not recognize the windows system that was installed there always. Please help me!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing and learning about computers, bike riding around town with my friends and I am currently playing badminton for my highschool.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

Did you remember to set the Windows Hard drive jumper as Master? Put all jumpers in, I think. Are you getting an error? What is it?

Edited by fbelzile, 17 July 2005 - 08:26 AM.

#3 oreofudge

oreofudge

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

The second disk (D), from where the puter is starting now has always set to be the slave, an the first © was the master. A friend had a problem with his HD (D) and asked me to save his data to mine so we could reformat his later. After saving the data I reformat the disk still being a slave and installed windows in it, since then my puter needs that HD (D) in order to boot up, my HD © is still there with all the files, it is just not being read as a HD with a system in it...

#4 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing and learning about computers, bike riding around town with my friends and I am currently playing badminton for my highschool.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

Boot into the Windows recovery console by booting with an installation CD and pressing "r" Now type: fixmbr -or- fix /mbr And hit enter. Reboot, and tell me what happens.

#5 oreofudge

oreofudge

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have my concerns in using that fix at this moment since many articles that I already read suggests that that fix may delete files. I have been reading articles about fixing the boot.ini file first which I am thinking to try first...

#6 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

OK try typing: bootcfg Before you try the fixmbr command. You should also back-up any important information you have on the HD with A live Linux Distribution like Linux. (Or slave it to another computer like you did before)

#7 oreofudge

oreofudge

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Felix, but I solved it by modifying the Boot.ini file.

#8 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

OK, I'm happy that you got it working. Take Care. :)