I'm getting a message that I don't have or are being denied access to my D: drive. I can't play or record or rip CD's off of the drive. I am in the Administrator account. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this message? Using Win7 Home Edition.
There are a few ways to go, but let's start with the simple options, can you recall what you had done prior to this happening ?
I ask as I know some burning\editing programs can change the drive at times, but first suggestion is try and figure when this started to happen, then use System Restore to revert to prior to this happening, see if that helps.
Next if the above didn't help is open the Device Manager, expand the CD\DVD drive entry, then right click on the entry(s) and select to Uninstall, close all the windows (ignore\reject any new hardware found message at this time if it comes up), and reboot the system, once it loads it will find the "new" hardware, just accept and allow the wizard to sort it out, fingers crossed it will reset anything that's been upset, and work again, see if these help, and we can go from there.
Well, I was going thru some of the programs I have for ripping and burining CD's. I haven't used it much lately and had an ocassion to do something. I put the CD in the PC and nothing happened. Everytime I tried to manually get it to play or go thru one of 3 programs, it kept telling me it was denying me access. I even created another admin acct but that isn't working either.
The programs I have are Medai Monkey, Acoustica MP3 Burner, and Nero10. I did go to Control Panel and open the Default icon which showed me that MM was listed as the default program. It wouldn't play it, so I deleted the program, deleted the CD Rom and rebooted.
After doing that I got it to play ONCE on Nero, but then went back to denying me access. The Cd isn't even spinning in the tray. I now have all the applications set to 'ask me' instead of assigning a default program. Still doesn't spin or play. At one juncture, the Acoustica program told me that I had a data disk installed and to remove it and insert an audio disc. Never had this happen to me so I'm a bit confused on what has taken over the CD player. I'm positive it must be a setting somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm puzzled as to why it won't let me access it even from an Admin level.
When I did reboot, it did exactly as you anticipated. But once I removed the disc and re-inserted it, it went back to denial.
So…right now I'm back to square one, only without Monkey Media. I have Win Medai Player, Nero 10, and Acoustica CD Burner programs. I have used those all before with success when I used to burn a lot of discs. Just puzzled why it's not letting me access it.
Well MediaMonkey and Nero don't affect it in my experience (other that trying to be the default burner\player for set file types), but I don't know the other one, but it does sound like something is trying to take control of it, what I suggest for the moment is to uninstall the DVD drive in the device Manager again, reject any reboot or wizards if they come up, then physically shut down fully, using normal safety procedures unplug the data AND power lead from the DVD drive, and leave it this way for the moment, just make sure the leads are not likely to fall into the fans or anything.
Next fire it up and I suggest getting and running mbam, run the updater then run a full Threat Scan, if you have any other protection run that as well, updating BEFORE you scan (as you should always do), but only ever run 1 at a time, lets see what comes back from this, and dependent on the results it may be worth asking the pro's for a check up, but we will see what comes back from this first, then we can go from there.
Followed your instructions: went to Device Mgr, uninstalled the CD-DVD player. Shut the PC down. Disconnected the data and power cables from the drive. Restarted and downloaded Mbam, updated and ran. It found 187 PUP's which were quarrantined and deleted. After updating, the following programs were run: Norton 360, Advanced System Cleaner Pro, and CCleaner. The all usually find something but noting that struck me as out of the ordinary. Shut down the PC and restarted. It found the CD-DVE and installed the driver. I waited for the entire start up procedure to complete.
I tried running Acoustica program and it started up ok. I began to select the tracks that I wanted to rip and lo and behold it tells me I have a data CD in the drive, shuts down the music menu and won't recognize the drive. I then try the Nero10 program and it's doing the same thing, not recognizing the drive. When going to the drive letter in Win Explorer, it shows an audio disc in D:\, however when I click on it, it tells me "Windows can't access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I've never had this happen on a PC, so I'm a bit stumped as to why I can't access it. This PC is only 2 years old, running Win7 and 16GB of RAM. Everything else runs fine on it.
I'm clueless at this point. It seems to me that this could be a setting somewhere that is incorrect (for whatever reason)? Do you have any ideas on finding something like that in the system?
Well given the findings of your scans, and the failure to stop this from happening so far, I suggest popping over to the pro's in the virus section, and ask if they can give you a check up, if that many pups got in, who knows what else may of come in as well, and it's quite possible the scans missed something, because no single piece of software can catch everything, which is why we ask the pro's who have much more specialised tools to use that can be dangerous if not used properly, and is why we defer to them when things like this come up to be safe, see what they say and we can go from there is my suggestion.
*edit
Forgot to say link back to this thread for them to get an idea of what's going on, and what has been done, and don't make any changes to the system until they have finished and given the all clear, as it may make their job harder, then pop back once they have finished to see what we can do next, assuming that they found nothing getting in the way of the above working first time round.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI