This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wonky internet and BSOD with certain Wi-Fi connections

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Specs
- HP Pavilion Dv6t running Win 7 Pro x64 SP 1
- Intel Core i5-3210M, 6 GB RAM, RaLink RT5390R 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

The Problem
When using the Wi-Fi at my school (which is typically spotty to begin with) my internet will "stop working" and lead to a BSOD. Let me explain: the connection remains stable, but when I try to load a webpage the screen just stays blank. Sometimes the cache will load, other times nothing will happen. If I reboot, everything works normally for a few minutes before randomly cutting out again. This occurs across all browsers (chrome, FF, and IE) and persists even if I restart the network adapter or disconnect and reconnect to the network.

Usually when this problem occurs, I restart right away because it's annoying and I need to use my internet. Occasionally, if I try to work with it or restart the network adapter too many times, it will lead to a random BSOD. I have gotten two separate BSOD error messages when this occurs - please see error logs below:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 000000000000000A
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF88006907FCD
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-13244-01.dmp
C:\Users\[REDACTED]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29530-0.sysdata.xml

and

System_Service_Exception

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88001A92572
BCP3: FFFFF88008C9A7C0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-14118-01.dmp
C:\Users\[REDACTED]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-80558-0.sysdata.xml

The weirdest part about this problem is that it only occurs when using my school's Wi-Fi, particularly in areas where I get weaker reception. My computer and the internet works normally everywhere else that I've tried it. I have already uninstalled and re-installed my network card drivers and ensured that everything is up to date. I have ran Microsoft Security Essentials and Lavasoft's Ad-aware to ensure there are no viruses or spyware. I'm at a loss - I'm about to reformat the whole thing if I can't figure this out.

Any suggestions are very welcomed! I would also be happy to provide more information upon request.

Thanks!
What internet security software are you running? Try turning it completely OFF or uninstalling it for a little while. You mentioned Security Essentials and Ad-aware - is there anything else you are running? The two above mentioned programs would not cause this problem.

You can use a program called WhoCrashed to analyze your crash dumps. Install the software, run it, click the Analyze button and copy and paste your results. It might tell exactly what is causing the issue.

Does your school use some kind of sign in mechanism to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the wireless network? If so, this would be one significantly different thing to differentiate this particular network from any other. Have they had you add any software to your laptop to access their network?

What internet security software are you running? Try turning it completely OFF or uninstalling it for a little while. You mentioned Security Essentials and Ad-aware - is there anything else you are running? The two above mentioned programs would not cause this problem.

You can use a program called WhoCrashed to analyze your crash dumps. Install the software, run it, click the Analyze button and copy and paste your results. It might tell exactly what is causing the issue.

Does your school use some kind of sign in mechanism to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the wireless network? If so, this would be one significantly different thing to differentiate this particular network from any other. Have they had you add any software to your laptop to access their network?



No internet security software other than Security Essentials and Ad-aware. I have tried disabling both, but the problem remained. I used to use avast! until my free trial ran out, and I switched to AVG briefly but it caused issues with my E-mail so I uninstalled it awhile back.

I installed whocrashed and have copy pasted the results below. Weirdly enough, it's recording "crashes" during times when I don't remember getting a BSOD, and during times when I wasn't using the school's internet. It also doesn't seem to have recorded crashes during times when I specifically remember getting a BSOD. So I can't speak to the accuracy of the information, but here it is:

(Note: it says to update drivers but, as I said before, I have double checked and my drivers are definitely up to date. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling them.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 6332674048 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1942335488




——————————————————————————–
Crash Dump Analysis
——————————————————————————–

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 10/8/2013 5:58:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100813-12901-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Tue 10/8/2013 5:58:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netr28x.sys (netr28x+0x97ACB)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netr28x.sys
product: Ralink 802.11n Wireless Adapters
company: Ralink Technology, Corp.
description: Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netr28x.sys (Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver, Ralink Technology, Corp.).
Google query: Ralink Technology, Corp. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL



On Tue 10/8/2013 5:51:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100813-12979-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Thu 10/3/2013 6:21:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100313-13104-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF8800846D7C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Thu 10/3/2013 6:18:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100313-13587-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF8800B6C77C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Fri 9/13/2013 7:17:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091313-13041-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Fri 9/6/2013 7:44:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090613-15444-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF8800AA6A7C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Wed 9/4/2013 8:41:49 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-13260-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF88009AED7C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Wed 9/4/2013 6:22:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-14118-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF88008C9A7C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Wed 9/4/2013 4:49:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-13244-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nwifi.sys (0xFFFFF88006907FCD)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xA, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88006907FCD)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nwifi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NativeWiFi Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Wed 9/4/2013 4:37:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090413-26769-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001A92572)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.



On Sat 8/17/2013 7:45:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081713-28267-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x92572)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A92572, 0xFFFFF880095AC7C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.




——————————————————————————–
Conclusion
——————————————————————————–

12 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

netr28x.sys (Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver, Ralink Technology, Corp.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.
Well, those are some nasty blue screens certainly related to your networking.

Huh…. Its not clear what might be causing the problem. How do you know you reinstalled the newest driver? Can you be more specific about the process you used and where you obtained the driver software?

I really think this is related to the wireless driver as all the blue screens seems to be interrelated in some of the codes / memory offsets.

Research suggests that your device also has bluetooth? Are you pairing anything to bluetooth on this unit such as a phone or headset?

Can you please post the exact part # of your laptop?

If you want to move forward trying to get an even newer driver and can identify your current adapter I found the manufacturer's site: http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php

It is also possible that a remnant of one of your past security programs is still causing trouble. In this case we would take a shotgun approach using a clean up tool provided by the software vendor for each product. Also considering that your laptop probably came with something like Norton or McAfee also. Therefore you would run the Norton Cleanup Tool, the McAfee Cleanup Tool, the AVG Cleanup Tool, and the Avast Cleanup Tool. All of which are provided by their respective vendors.
Thank you all for your help. I apologize for my absence as I have been out of the country. As I stated earlier, I have already re-installed my Wi-Fi drivers. I downloaded the 5.0.3 drivers from the link provided by jcgriff2 and ran the installer and restarted my computer afterwords. The problem still persists. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ok, new problem: I ran the uninstaller again and selected "remove all." I then restarted and reinstalled the driver. Now I can't get any Wi-Fi connection whatsoever! When I run the RaLink wireless utility, nothing happens - I just get a toolbar icon that says "IEEE802.11 WLAN Does Not Exist". My wireless connection doesn't show up in Networking and Sharing Center. When I try to update my drivers using Windows Device Manager, it claims my drivers are up to date (regardless of whether or not I have removed them). But when I go into properties, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." This is a HUGE problem for me. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Ok, new problem:

I ran the uninstaller again and selected "remove all." I then restarted and reinstalled the driver. Now I can't get any Wi-Fi connection whatsoever! When I run the RaLink wireless utility, nothing happens - I just get a toolbar icon that says "IEEE802.11 WLAN Does Not Exist". My wireless connection doesn't show up in Networking and Sharing Center.

When I try to update my drivers using Windows Device Manager, it claims my drivers are up to date (regardless of whether or not I have removed them). But when I go into properties, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

This is a HUGE problem for me. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?


I fixed this problem - found the old drivers on my recovery partition, and that seemed to get it working (at least to the condition it was previously).

However, the original problem - internet cutting out, followed by BSOD - persists. Could it possibly be my BIOS?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI