This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless lately seems to disconnect often

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

I hope someone can help me to resolve this issue, lately my wireless connection on my laptop gets lost, time out. I used to get the yellow exclamation mark on the wireless signal on the taskbar when my connection was lost or time out but not anymore. Now the wireless signal appears find all the time, but I am still experiencing the connection lost. The way I notice that the connection is dropping is because the reload wheel on my Firefox browser spins constantly and everything stops (meaning, if I watching a YouTube video, or try to browse on the net).

 

My wireless card seems to be working fine as I can ping 127.0.01 and loop back what are pinging. I have run my antivirus, Malware and adware programs to see if I have anything but the results come clean.

 

I have also done a clean install, wipe the drive and install windows 7 back with all the software and I still have the same issue.

 

I called my Internet provider and explain the issue to see if the router was the problem, but after checks told me that everything seem to be working fine on the router.

 

So I don't know what this could be.

 

Any help will appreciate

 

Thanks

I am not the best with these things, but what antivirus are you using ?

I ask as I've noticed Avast has caused slowdowns on a mates system lately, and you can see the icon for it spinning like crazy, you can add things to a white list, but it is a lot more involved than it used to be, if you're not using Avast then it will need some digging to try and find out what is wrong.

 

But when you reply also note if there have been any changes in the hardware in ANY place you use it, sometimes an item can produce a field that interferes with such things, CCTV often warns of this when using wireless camera's, as they use a frequency that can cause problems, also note any software changes\updates prior to this starting, then we can go from there.

Hi supermenber,

 

I don’t run Avast, I was running McAffee until yesterday and I trashed it, windows 7 became very unstable, all because of McAffe, so I did a clean install on windows 7, I am running now Kaspersky.

 

For the moment, everything has come back to normal, but my wireless still with the issue, I am starting to think that the wireless card might be dying,  I don’t know… it is very strange that I can connect for periods of time without having any issue, and suddenly the connection drops out of the blue. Now the wireless signal at the taskbar doesn’t show any question mark when this happened which it is a bit bizarre, it looks like I have full functionality on the wireless, which it isn’t true.

 

I have noticed that when I watch movies on the net, the upload is very slow, and the movies stop here and there, when before was very fast and no problem with the uploads.

 

I have disabled intel my wifi technology to see if this is the problem.

 

To answer your questions,  I haven’t had any hardware changes, software, I am updating my windows 7 because of the clean installation I have performed.  

with a clean install of an os, the first thing i'd recommend is going to the laptop manufacturers site and installing all the latest drivers they have listed for that particular make and model laptop. then see if things improve.

 

:popcorn:

Can you verify what channel your WiFi is running on? Channel 1, 6, 11 is known to not overlap and cause interference. If your router is on automatic, try changing to channel 11, 6 or 1 whichever you prefer and see if the problem persists. And Terry is right on! Also make sure you have the latest drivers.

Hi, 

 

II have the WIFI running on channel 11 also I have already install the latest drivers and problem persist… I think is the computer, or may be my host or IP address is been hijacked, I don't know what to think anymore.   

Use your laptop as you normally do until the exclamation mark comes up again, then run the troubleshoot by right clicking your WiFi point and selecting 'troubleshoot'. Record down whatever problem your troubleshoot finds, then report it here so we may know what exactly is causing this issue.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI