Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Intermittent connectivity after computer restart

intermittent internet connect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Barbarus

Barbarus

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

Every time I restart my computer, after windows updates, etc. it comes back with a strange symptom.  After all the start up programs are running, when I use a browser (Chrome or IE) it exhibits intermittent connectivity.  It will load and respond normally for 10 - 15 seconds, then Chrome completely freezes.  Even the little spinner that indicates it's loading something stops .. you can't switch tabs or do anything for 20-30-40 seconds.  Then it 'pops' back to life for another 10 - 15 seconds, then freezes again.  In internet explorer, instead of just freezing I get a "no internet connection" warning.  The problem seems to have gotten worse and worse over time.

The weird thing is that after a long period of time acting like this, it goes back to normal operations.  The pause-freeze-resume cycle lasts hours and hours, yesterday I stopped counting after 8 hours of this behavior.  I left the computer on all night and this morning its all back to normal.

I have searched and searched and don't find anything on this topic.  I'm deadly afraid to re-start the computer because it will guarantee unusable internet for the rest of the day after I restart it.  I did catch a 'glimpse' of an article that dealt with the wireless router connection doing some kind of CRC or security check in the background which my modem maybe can't handle, and it keeps stalling while it waits for a response until it times out.  I don't know how to check for this.  I can't hard-wire the internet connection to the computer because we had a power surge months ago and my motherboard jack stopped working, I think it's fried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Windows home premium 64 bit with a Linksys09916 router connected to a cable modem.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

I can't hard-wire the internet connection to the computer because we had a power surge months ago and my motherboard jack stopped working, I think it's fried.

That's not good and note if a surge really happened, it also hit the other end of that cable too. Did you try a different Ethernet port on the router?

Do you have just one network connected device? If not, do other computers have this problem too. If not, then it likely is not a modem or wireless network problem.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Barbarus

Barbarus

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

At the time of the power outage, the wireless router was not hooked up.  It was cable => cable modem => motherboard ethernet port, all by physical connections.  After the power was restored the computer functioned normally but nothing I did would get it online.  Since my PC had a wireless LAN built in I plugged the ethernet => linksys and the computer found the router and I've been using that ever since.  I assumed the physical ethernet port on the computer got zapped, but the surfboard cable modem must have had enough protection built in and was working fine.  So the linksys couldn't have gotten damaged.  I also didn't have this freeze-stall problem back then, it is something that has developed more recently.  I guess the thing to do is test the surfboard modem but I'm not sure how to do that.

I'll try a different port on the router to see if that makes a difference, but it will be a pain because I'll have to reboot the computer to test it and I could end up in the slow lane for another day if that doesn't do it.

I attached a screen cap of my computer's network adapters.  The only other thing that connects to the linksys is my Galaxy S4 but I don't use that for online browsing.  Besides, how would it know when I've rebooted the PC, which is the only thing that causes this problem?  I appreciate the quick response, let me know if you think of anything else to try.

Attached Thumbnails

• network_devices.JPG

#4 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

If you are accessing the Internet, the Surfboard modem is working.

The only other thing that connects to the linksys is my Galaxy S4 but I don't use that for online browsing.

It does not matter what you use it for. The idea is to test if the wireless side of your network works. If your S4 has access, your wireless network is working.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#5 Barbarus

Barbarus

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

Well OK .. I turned off the data channel on the S4 ... under networking it says it's connected to the linksys .. i'm watching a streaming feed (TV news live-streaming) and it is playing without interruption on the S4.  It's something specific to how the PC is connecting to the linksys.  On the PC when I click on the networking icon in the sys tray it shows it connected to the linksys and the signal strength is "excellent".  Security type is WPA2-PSK.

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

That suggests a firewall or router setting. Can you enter the IP address of the router and access it's Admin menu from the PC?

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 Barbarus

Barbarus

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

As per the instruction manual, I enter http://linksyssmartwifi.com/into a web browser and then log on to the router using the password provided with manual.  I have from time to time used this to give guest access, but guest access is currently turned off.  I haven't changed any of the factory settings.  The device list shows 3 items, the android, the PC, and the linksys itself.  The guest network screen says there are no guest devices connected.  Automatic updates are turned on for the firmware.  It says I have both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network.  Let me know what else I might look at.  My firewall is my Norton Internet Security suite.

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

So the fact you are accessing your router's admin menu means your network (everything on your side of your router) is working fine. The fact you can access the Internet from your smartphone says your wireless network and your gateway device to the Internet (likely the modem) and your Internet connection are working fine. That would suggest a setting in your router or Norton Firewall is blocking Internet access from your PC. Not sure what to look for there, but you need to snoop around in those areas.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────