Software
boot once
5 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
Hello
To change the boot order once to boot from a cd to recover an image I used to use the old BIOS and just tap F12 until the right cd/dvd came up.
With the new UEFI how do you change the boot order once to boot from the rescue cd?
Thank you
Peter
8210GUY
Sorry not sure I follow, the boot order should not change, well what I mean is changing the boot order is the same as it's always been, the only variation that I have seen is the key you press to access x menu, usually when it first displays text there is a list of what button you press for what function, traditionally Del got you into the bios, and you change the boot order in there, but F2 is another button to do the same thing on some systems, and I dare say there may be a few that may vary that button, so keep your eyes open as it starts, you don't get long to take it all in, so that can be a challenge.
The other way to "change" the boot order is by pressing a button to bring up it's boot menu, again it's usually noted on the start up screen, on some systems it's F8, but again I wouldn't be surprised if there were variations of this, but the bonus of this method is it's great for a single run, e.g. if you want to boot to a CD\DVD just once, then using this method allows you to select what boot device you want to use, but unlike the previous method it does not change the order of the next\future boot's, those will remain as they were set as, I'm guessing maybe this is the way your trying to do it ?
The optical drive is usually listed as an Atapi… drive\device, often the first option at the top of the list, if you want to boot off of some other device you select that from your list, does this help in any way ?
Peter1
With Win 8 machines the old BIOS is replaced with UEFI.
I think you need to enable legacy.
I don't know how to do this and if it needs to be reversed when done.
I do not think you can insert the rescue cd and tap F12 until boot order comes up.etc any more.
I am asking about recovering a system image create with Macrium, for example..
Ztruker
You do need to enable Legacy support unless you create a EFI bootable CD or flash drive. I don't know how to do this but I have seen mention of it.
8210GUY
I don't have a true Windows 8 system to try myself, and have not experienced your issue, but I did find mention on this saying that you need to change the boot from UEFI to CSM, but I can't say if it is what you need, but from what's been said I suspect it will work, but my guess is you will need to revert back to UEFI when done, but as I say this is something I have not experienced so far, but This link seems to me as though it should do what you need, albeit if it's a longer way round to do this than previous tapping of F key's, hope it helps anyway.
Peter1
I just heard that there is an option to recover an image which you can do with out changing anything. I wonder if that is true,. If so you create the image, find recover image in advanced, and then choose it as you do always.
I wonder if recovering an image is being confused with setting boot order which may not be necessary?
My only question is can the image ne 3rd party or does it need to be Windows which is another story.
8210GUY
My very simple experience with recovery disks is you put them in the DVD tray, and boot to the optical drive, the recovery disk should then kick in and do what's needed, probably with onscreen prompts, but my experience with recovery disks is limited, and not that great, but all the recovery stuff I have seen to do with a recovery disk is very simply just boot to that disk, no different than installing an operating system, but others may well know better about this, but in simple terms that's what I would expect, I can only hope it helps.
Peter1
My very simple experience with recovery disks is you put them in the DVD tray, and boot to the optical drive, the recovery disk should then kick in and do what's needed, probably with onscreen prompts, but my experience with recovery disks is limited, and not that great, but all the recovery stuff I have seen to do with a recovery disk is very simply just boot to that disk, no different than installing an operating system, but others may well know better about this, but in simple terms that's what I would expect, I can only hope it helps.
.I really goofed. I tried to make a Bartpe disc and my pc won't work. I installed Win 8 with the ease of us keyboard but keyboard won't work.
I guess Windows is smaller than the registry and the pc is dead.
I have the 2 dvds I got when I bought the pc and I will see if that has the drivers etc. I need.
Dead?.
..
8210GUY
Such a disk is a really specialised thing, and best left alone unless you know what your doing, if you have bought a system from a store, and made back up disk's, you should not need anything more, it's hard to break the recovery made by the suppliers, and if you using tool's like Macrium which you are, and have those rescue disks created, you should not need such a specialised disk, as to if you "broke" it, I honestly couldn't say, I have yet to experience such restrictions from such a bios, so I don't think I can add anymore to what I have, if the above hasn't helped then I don't know what will, hope you get a solution.
Peter1
Been ill + just got back.
I recovered with Macrium after replacing keyboard batteries.
I know how to handle the UEFI so will not need sophisticated discs for Macrium' s rescue disc.
Thank you
Ztruker
See my post here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=127044#
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI