This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

UEFI

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

Using UEFI to boot from a cd, once you disable secure boot and enable csm do you still have to tap F12 or will it boot to the order you set in UEFI namely cd/dvd?

 

I understand Macrium will boot with UEFI without adjusting settings in set up - true?

 

 

 

Still need F12 but not sure why you need to disable secure boot or enable csm. I press F12, select UEFI CD/DVD or USB flash and it boots just fine.

 

Still need F12

why? surely if cd/dvd is first boot device in uefi then it will always try that first before hard drive exactly the same as in the old bios days won't it?

 

can't say i've worked on a uefi system for ages so don't actually remember myself but to me logic says no you shouldn't need to bring up boot device menu when it's already set that way.

 

:popcorn:

I will try the flash drive.

 

Do you find that the actual Macrium program appears to be booting within Windows instead of off the disc?

I did create a USB stick and checked to support UEFI and it did boot directly to Macriuum although I have the older BIOS so it is not a valid test. I think it is better than the DVD though as it includes the option to boot through UEFI..

 

My question is; should I check off MBR and also verify when recovering????

 

 

Still need F12

why? surely if cd/dvd is first boot device in uefi then it will always try that first before hard drive exactly the same as in the old bios days won't it?

 

can't say i've worked on a uefi system for ages so don't actually remember myself but to me logic says no you shouldn't need to bring up boot device menu when it's already set that way.

 

:popcorn:

 

I never set anything other than the hard drive as the first boot device. No need if the computer supports pressing a key to bring up a boot menu.

Why mess with BIOS/UEFI if you don't have to.

I did create a USB stick and checked to support UEFI and it did boot directly to Macriuum although I have the older BIOS so it is not a valid test. I think it is better than the DVD though as it includes the option to boot through UEFI..

 

My question is; should I check off MBR and also verify when recovering????

 

Why do that if it works as you now have it? Besides it will work in a MBR/UEFI support so it should work on either.

I will try the flash drive.

 

Do you find that the actual Macrium program appears to be booting within Windows instead of off the disc?

 

You are booting WinPE which is Windows so it should look like it. Macrium is just the default program to launch when boot completes.

 

I never set anything other than the hard drive as the first boot device. No need if the computer supports pressing a key to bring up a boot menu.

Why mess with BIOS/UEFI if you don't have to.

 

just to clarify so the answer to peters question here then

 

 

do you still have to tap F12 or will it boot to the order you set in UEFI namely cd/dvd?

 

is "no you don't need to tap F12" and not the "yes you do still need to tap F12" you first stipulated, and there is no reason why uefi won't boot cd/dvd first if set in uefi?

 

like i said been a long time since i've used uefi so wasn't 100% sure, but couldn't think of a reason why it would not boot cd/dvd and still need you to bring up the boot options.

 

:popcorn:

This is the first flash drive I made for a rescue disc and it seems to be better than the disc but harder to store 

I did not notice if the discs have the option to involve that UEFI box under the flash drive section when creating the rescue disc.

I will not check off MBR as advised .

I do not think it matters whether the hard drive or CD/DVD is first but could be wrong. I'd do what manufacturers does?

I think it is funny that I made the observation about Win PE looking like you are within Windows because as you said," You are booting Win PE which is Windows so it should look like it."  Pretty naive of me.

To me the look is different but I get it now.

​Thanks a lot for all the ideas. Imaging is critical to me. If I outlive this beast the next will have UEFI and I'll be prepared.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI