This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

New Windows XP Install on New Hard Drip

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Help! I started a new topic in hardware because I was installing a new hard drive in my Dell Latitude D420 Laptop. But I don't think that's the right forum for my situation. I've loaded the XP disk to start the install, but the machine defaults to GNU GRUB. I used UBUTU to back up my data when my old hard drive started to fail. But now I can't boot from the CD. I have pressed the F12 key to change the default boot setting to CD. I hear the disk drive turning …but then the laptop still defaults to a GNU GRUB prompt. I've also successfully rebooted the new hard drive from the Ubutu disk; so I'm successfully in Lucid Puppy Version 5.1 Otherwise I'm stuck. PS-We need to also close the other topic in the Hardware Forum.
Hi Solo,

GNU GRUB is a boot loader package from Ubuntu.
To remove: At the command prompt, execute the MS-DOS command: fdisk /mbr (don't forget the space) which will overwrite the MBR.

Cheers,
Lee
Not sure how you would get to a Command Prompt to use fdisk.

Where did you get the XP disc? Is it a retail one (hologram logo) or one you burned? If you burned it, how? I recommedn using ImgBurn as burning at the slowest speed possible, normally 4X.

The way I would get rid of anything on the hard drive is to use Darrick's Boot And Nuke (DBAN). It's an iso file like Ubuntu was. Create the bootable CD then when it gets to the prompt, type autonuke and press enter. Let it run for a couple minutes. That will completely wipe the drive and it will become a raw, unpartitioned, unallocated, unformatted drive.

Now boot the XP install CD and since there is nothing on the drive it should automatically start the CD. Create a new partition, format and off you go.

One warning. If you have the drive partitioned into C: D: etc this will totally wipe it. Caveat Emptor!

but then the laptop still defaults to a GNU GRUB prompt.

Wouldn't that be a command prompt Rich?

Cheers,
Lee

GRUB prompt



What do you mean by "prompt"? Is that a command prompt with a flashing cursor?
If so, type in the command fdisk /mbr and press "enter" to remove GRUB.

If you can't type in anything, your not getting a GRUB 'command' prompt.
OK, I get it. you are receiving this -

[attachment removed]

For the life of me, I cannot work out how you can have a Linux boot loader on a brand new HDD. Maybe in the RAM which doesn't make sense(?)

Anyhow, try these GRUB uninstall commands: apt-get purge grub-common or apt-get purge grub-pc

Cheers,
Lee
Now I'm getting the following on a black screen No boot sector on internal hard drive No bootable devices - strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics. I ran the diagnostics…no problems were detected. I ran F2 and went to a setup on a blue screen. Any suggestions?

Now I'm getting the following on a black screen

No boot sector on internal hard drive

No bootable devices - strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I ran the diagnostics…no problems were detected.
I ran F2 and went to a setup on a blue screen.

Any suggestions?



The problem with the GRUB prompt appearing, means it is then impossible to boot from a disk and DBAN won't run and nor can you run the Windows setup disk. It is a well known Ubunta gremlin apparently, making it impossible to boot from any disk!

If you entered one of those Linux GRUB removal prompts I gave you and it then displayed No bootable devices - strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.
which is a bios message, not Linux.. That should mean GRUB is now gone..

I would now try a fresh boot with your Windows install CD in your optical drive.

Cheers,
lee
Rick, Yes, this was after DBAN. Lee, I've tried rebooting to the optical drive with the original Windows XP in it…and am getting the following message on a black screen: no boot sector on internal hard drive no bootable devices - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics. What should I do next?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI