This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't upload media files to the internet

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What happens is that when I try to upload a media file it uploads a % of the file no more than 24% and then I get cannot display page error message I have tried all sorts: I have tried using different browsers I have tried resetting the router - pointless as other laptops in the house can upload without issue Restored laptop to factory settings! Disabled all antivirus and firewalls did a speed test at speedtest.net - google chrome - download speed 62.80, upload speed 1.09 Still can't upload files to the internet :(
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums. We need a little more information please: 1 file suffix of the file you are attempting to upload (Wav, Avi, Mp3 etc) 2 size of the file and if copyright protected 3 protocol you are using for the upload…. (ftp etc) 4 address where you are uploading to 5 operating system being used, 8, 7, Vista, XP, etc and if 32/64 bit 7 Size of hard drive from which you are uploading and file system in use, (NTFS, Fat 32 etc) Post bqack with the details and we will do our best to help Regards paws
I have tried wma/wmv and mp3 files to various sites. Operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium - Service Pack 1. NTFS. I am able to upload files if I select safe mode with networking. None of the files are copyright protected they are files I have created myself.
Hi, have you tried to upload your files with different PC and same internet connection , because this can happen due to two reasons either your Internet Service provider is not giving you sufficient uploading bandwidth or the bandwidth got choked by some viruses. Scan your system with proper updated antivirus such as Avg, Avast or Immunet. All the best.
Thanks for responses so far :) Yes I have used another laptop in the house to successfully upload files using same router and internet connection. I have scanned using AVG and Malaware Bytes. I couldn't even upload files once I had restored to factory settings and had no software installed! Driving me crazy.
Hi Thehookandtheb8, I think you identified the root of the problem when you indicated that booting into safe mode with networking allowed the uploads to go through, but trying it in normal mode results in a failure.

It can be deduced that something that is loading in normal boot , but not in safe mode maybe the culprit…..

1 To test this you could run MSCONFIG and under "startup" disable all non essential elements…… and then try again…..
You will need paper andpencil to help keep track of the itemswe are going to disable (sounds old fashioned I know but it does simplifythings!)

2 If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? and it solves the problem,then something is starting at boot up that is causing the problem. We need to zero in on the culprit!

Advancedstartup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
Howto use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
Howto use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record on your sheet of paper, what iscurrently starting, then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.

If yes then use msconfig to enable several itemsat a time (recording each one on your sheet of paper) till you find theculprit. (you will need to reboot each time…. its tedious and time consumingbut well worth trying!)

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check/Tick the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting thenclick the Disable All button.

Again, do a boot into normal mode, see if it runs OK and without problems.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services (recording them on your paper as you go) till you find theculprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate itfrom your system. Simply disablingit in msconfig is a temporary fix atbest.
Enable everything else you disabled.

The first suspects to my mind would be any security protections that you have in place firewall, anti virus and the like


Let us know how you go.

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI