This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB ports not working after bios

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys! I've been super struggling with this issue for a while now and need some help. It started with one of my USB ports stopping working, then another and then all of a sudden all usb ports stopped working. But they only do not work in windows 7. I can get into my BIOS and everything and see that it does indeed detect a usb mouse and keyboard. I've tried quite a few things so far, resetting the CMOS, booting from a windows disk to try and recover or reinstall windows. Neither of those work. I also grabbed myself a USB->PS/2 converter and while the keyboard/mouse plugged in is getting power (lights are on) they do not work at all, my bios says nothing is connected at that point. i'm not sure if it is my motherboard or the connecter as far as why the ps/2 isn't working. Is there anything else I can try to get this all back up and running? Thank you!
It has to be hardware failure. How do you know the BIOS detects a keyboard and mouse? I don't think I have ever seen a BIOS indicate that. Usually there is an option to enable USB keyboard and mouse support but not that it actually detects them. Here's the problem. USB is so universal and simple of a peripheral, there is almost nothing you can do to make it stop working like you said and even if you did it would certainly not effect only one port and not another, etc. Therefore, it is, without a doubt, a hardware problem and most likely a motherboard issue. If you boot from a windows installation disc and your mouse and keyboard still doesn't work then that seals the deal.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI