Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PS2 Ports for mouse & keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 denisemn

denisemn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello, My keyboard and mouse ps2 ports (round green and purple ones) on the back of my PC aren’t working. The keyboard works on another PC and the mouse works in the USB ports. I did some goggling on this and it seems the ports are likely part of the motherboard and that the mother board would have to be replaced. If that is correct, is this an indicator that my mother board is going to go next? Can those ports be replaced easily? Or would I be better off getting a PS/2 to USB adapter I have a 4 year old Compaq Presario SR2170NX, Windows Vita Home Basic. Thanks for any help you can provide. Denise

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hi Denise, Its unusual for ps2 ports to stop working.... make sure you have the keyboard and mouse plugged in correctly..... examine carefully the pins on the end of the plugs... are the pins all Ok.... none broken or bent...( this is the most common cause of problems that we see in the workshop..) Next make sure you have them in the correct ports.... most are colour coded these days.... green and purple..... Remember "a mouse likes green cheese! so mouse goes to the green and keyboard to purple!. However the "first aid" is as follows: 1 Try and use usb keyboard and usb mouse.... does this work? 2 Go to "Device Manager" and uninstall the ps2 keyboard.... close down your machine, and after 30 seconds with a blank black screreen restart... Windows should reinstall the drivers and this may do the trick for you. Let us know how you go Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 denisemn

denisemn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Paws, There isn’t a Ps2 keyboard listing in the device manager. I picked up a new keyboard with a usb connector and it works. Yeah! :clap: I tried a ps2 connector mouse and that also does not work and also is not listed in the device manger. But the usb one shows up in the list and works. Can I reinstall the Ps2 connectors? Thanks, Denise

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thats good news that you can continue to use your computer using USB keyboard and mouse..... Well done :thumbup: I would be inclined to leave it at that..... however the next step (if you want to pursue it) is to enter the BIOS of your computer and ensure that legacy support for PS2 Keyboard/mouse is enabled, if its not then enable it, save the settings and when your computer has started wait 5 minutes( by the clock) and then close it down. Wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen, then remove your USB keyboard and mouse and replace the Ps2 Keyboard and mouse..... boot the computer and see if it works OK with the Ps2's Let us know how things go Lots of other things you can try.... but let's do one at a time! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 denisemn

denisemn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hi Paws, The easy answer would be to just use my front USB ports. But now I am curious. I don’t really know anything about BIOS. Is this a simple enough process you could walk me through? Thanks, Denise

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Hi Denise,
Ok

The easy answer would be to just use my front USB ports.

:thumbup:
or you could use the back ones, most mice will work OK via a hub ( USB hub non powered, will be OK) available for a pound or a dollar or so .
Here's a recent link to the sort of thing I have in mind
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item335dc0b093
The keyboard is best directly plugged into a USB port and not via a hub....( but some do work OK that way!)

Wwhen you start up your machine you may see on the screen a line of text....... something like:
press F12 to enter "Set Up"
or it may be F2 or Del, or Esc...( various computer manufacturers have different key strokes...) and you may need to check your computer or motherboard handbook/manual for the exact keystroke.... However all of them require you to start hitting the appropriate key stoke IMMEDIATELY you power on (dont wait for any part of Windows to start loading as the BIOS operates before Windows even starts to load....)

Once you are in the BIOS tread very carefullyDO NOT alter anything just to see what might happen!
only alter the setting to provide legacy support for PS2...... you will have to dig around to find it.....
If you mess up at all then exit the BIOS without saving the changes Repeat without saving...... this will enable you to try again later.....
You have to be accurate and precise in the BIOS... never guess only act on certainty...... putting in an incorrect setting could stop your machine from booting up!
Once you alter the correct setting then exit the BIOS with saving the changes, and your computer will/should reboot!
Good luck
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 27 February 2012 - 03:22 AM.
typo

#7 denisemn

denisemn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi Paws, I think I'll stick to the usb port. The BIOS is sounding a bit scary. Thanks again for all your hep. Denise

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

:thumbup: You are most welcome. Sounds like a good decison to me. Regards paws

#9 akdb

akdb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

You can find a solution here:

http://blog.eddsn.co...rd-not-working/

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi akdb, and welcome to the WTT forums. Apologies for the delay in displaying your post. It was necessary to hold your post before displaying it, whilst we checked the blog for which you provided a link. As you can appreciate, we like to see that a clear recommendation is provided to back up the Registry/Create a System Restore Point before details of the fix are given. The recommendation on the blog, to do this, is clear and even emphasized in Red and your post has now been displayed. Thanks for your contribution. Regards paws

#11 zapf

zapf

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I have the same question.  If the keyboard isn't functioning I can't use the ways you suggested to start BIOS.  Is there a way to start BIOS without a keyboard?  Maybe I'm just missing something - not the first time.  Thanks.