This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

system runs fine but no power on the keyboard or mouse

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

my cpu was full of dust so i cleaned my case. i reconnected all the componants and started my pc it was all like normal my system started and it led to desktop screen cuz i dont set any password but suddenly i realized that keyboard and mouse are not working yeah checked them on another pc they work fine. there is no power in keyboard and mouse when i insert into my pc and thats not it none of usb ports are working. what the hell is happening? pls somebody help me

Hi Sanuj, and welcome to our forum

:welcome:

 

Sorry to hear about the problems with your USB

 

Cleaning out your computer, (of dust and the usual detitus that accumulates) should not involve disconnecting components…. if you disconnected stuff its possible that you reconnected incorrectly, or maybe failed to seat the connections to the USB headers fully and completely.

 

Please check these carefully before doing anything else?

 

Post back and let us know how you get on

regards

paws

I'd like to start by apologizing in advance, as I am not sure if this is the right place. I have an iHome wireless keyboard that for a long time has had small issues, like repeating letters or occasionally not working, so I often give it it breaks. Today however, this keyboard trouble had lasted quite some time, and all together stopped working. I have tried every trick in the book that I know of, and was wondering if there's anything I can do before having to just get a new one. I've tried resetting, new batteries, switching the USB ports that it is in, and even unscrewing the whole thing and putting it back together. So, again, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, anything help is great. Thanks!

Hi plasticbowl and welcome to our forums,

 

:welcome:

 

Sorry to hear about the keyboard issue. It seems you have done more or less everything that most folks would normally try, however I would be inclined to plug in a known good working keyboard as a test ( borrow one from a chum maybe?) restart your computer and test thoroughly if the problem totally and permanently goes away then its definitely pointing the finger of suspicion at the actual keyboard.

 

Before getting a new keyboard try to resynchronise the keyboard and sender unit (usually a small button on each that it's necessary to press more or less at the same time and see if this helps.

 

One final and desperate measure that has been known to help other folks, but is only to used if you are determined to send it to the recycle facility…. is to beat it up!

 

Here's how:

Please take all safety precautions, keep other people, children or pets away and use  protective safety glasses… and any other personal protection equipment (PPE) as appropriate.

 

Remove the batteries, turn the keyboard so it's upside down and give it several smart smacks by hand or a rolled up newspaper (sometimes this will shock a bad contact back into life again… if the keyboard is destined for the recycle bin anyway…. you can be quite severe with it!

 

Reseat the batteries, Try the synch again and then check in device manager that it all seems Ok no red/yellow markers etc and if still no joy then get a replacement, fortunately they are very inexpensive these days and even our local supermarket sells them for a pound or two (or a dollar or three!)

 

Post back and let us know if this somewhat unconventional approach does any good!

Regards

paws

Hey paws, thank you very much! I tried all of what you said and was able to do (though I did not beat it up after realizing it didn't work) and bought myself a new keyboard at the local Goodwill. Works like the old one did on day one, haha. Thank you for your help!

Hi plastic bowl,
It was good to hear that you are up and running again with a new keyboard.

I think that replacing it was definitely a smart move on your part.

 

:thumbup:

Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI