This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB PROBLEMS

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

O/S WIDOWS XP SP2 HP MEDIA CENTER PC M7334N AMD ATHLON 64X2 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR 3800+ 1.00 GB OF RAM NVIDIA 9500 GT Here is my dilemma, About 2 months ago all of my usb ports quit responding.I googled this problem and after trying everything i found on the net,i came to the conclusion my motherboard was bad.I still get power to my devices when i plug them in to the usb ports but my cpu does not recognize them.(I-pod,camera,printer)I have checked the bios ,device manager says no problems,uninstalled usb drivers and restarted,updated drivers all to no avail.So i called Best Buy and the goon squad,they also said it was the motherboard.I brought it to them,they plugged the tower in right in front of me,started it in safe mode ,plugged in a couple of there usb devices(a mouse etc.)and to my surprise the device mager made its little noise and started to find there devices.SO they reassured me it was not my motherboard ,but somekind of software issue.They suggested i reinstall windows from my recovery discs ,which i had not made yet(i have a built in partition).So when i got home i too started my cpu in safe mode but it still did not recognise my devices,I have 6 usb ports and tried them all.I made the recovery discs,and reinstalled windows,still nothing.I do not wish to pay the goon squad the 130 dollars they want to charge me to fix the problem.It seems very odd to me that my cpu recognized there devices but will not acknowledge anything i plug into it. ANY SUGGESTIONS??????
Hi 242HELFIRE

And :welcome:

I have checked the bios ,device manager says no problems,uninstalled usb drivers and restarted,updated drivers all to no avail.


Have you tried uninstall the root hub? And how many ports does it list as available, if any? (Right-click root hub, properties, second tab / power etc.) It might be a wrongly assigned IRQ in the BIOS, IRQ 9 is usually reserved for USB. A uninstall / re-install will remedy this, usually.

Regards
Well, I can only disagree to some extent with those from goon squad. If you re-installed windows, I would be hard-pressed to believe a software issue was the root of the problem. Try unplug your PC entirely, power-cord and all. Wait like 1-2 minutes. Plug in and restart the machine. Check USB. Possible causes could be your PSU, and / or microsoft vs. vendor incompatibility regarding USB devices. So called timing problems. Officially Microsoft doesn't have a definite solution to this. But a temporarily work-around, is to alter the registry key for selective suspend feature. It may work for you, but no garanties can be given. Let me hear if you are up for trying this, depending on how comfortable you are at rumaging in the registry. Proper backup will be mandatory of course :) before going ahead with this, I would ask that you open your device-manager. Click on show in the menu, and choose show by type. Now expand the IRQ section, and see if there is a IRQ conflict. Cheers
I dont see any conflicts but im not sure what im lookin for also ,under non plug and play drivers i found a yellow exclamation point net to the 1 named "serial".Not sure if that makes a dif or not.I am willing to enter the registry at any time with a little guidance.

under non plug and play drivers i found a yellow exclamation point net to the 1 named "serial".Not sure if that makes a dif or not.


Have you tried right-clicking it, select update driver or properties - driver - update?
In light of this, I think we should hold back a bit with registry fix.


Maybe you should also look into chipset driver updates.

Use your product number or the make / model to find your drivers. Start here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support

Did you try:

Try unplug your PC entirely, power-cord and all. Wait like 1-2 minutes. Plug in and restart the machine. Check USB.


Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI