This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue screen what do I do?

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Famous last words: OK, I'm gonna try the repair install. My XP CD has SP1 on it. I guess I am going to try that slipstreaming thing noted in the instructions for the repair install, which I guess amounts to burning myself a new XP CD that will include SP2 as well. The reason for the slipstreaming instead of downloading the updates after the installation seems to be something about only 137 GB of the HD working? Otherwise, I'd just download the updates and not fool with a new installation disc. This seem right to you, before I begin? denno
OY! Now what!?

Lessee…agreed to the agreement, then up comes a complicated screen:

These are the existing partitions and unpartitioned spaces on your computer:

305243 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 (unknown)
unpartitioned space….8MB

238418 MB disk, etc.
–: partitiion 1 [FAT]
D: Partition 2 [NTFS]
unpartitioned space 16 MB

1946 MB disk on disk [MBR]
E: Partition 1 [FAT]

and asked me in which space I wanted to create XP

I gazed at this for awhile and chose C:
Next screen announced that this was not formatted, or was corrupted, or this or that, and asked if I wanted to format it, and said that would wipe out the files etc.
I retreated.

What's next?

Thanks

p.s. yes, there are two HDs in there. I put my previous one in to retain files; actually, I think I've transferred everything I needed out of it and it is maybe not needed; except there's some program or other I can boot out of it that I don't have on my C drive (can't even think what it is, so it hasn't come up in awhile).
Sounds like your C: partition (if that was where you had your OS) is corrupted beyond repair, which means a re-install.

1. Disconnect without removing your 2nd HDD to make sure you don't accidentally delete anything on it.
2. Reboot your XP disk and delete all partitions on the remaining HDD by following the online key prompts.
3. Make sure you have your XP product key handy.


Scroll down to FORMATING PARTITIONING AND INSTALLING on this WTT guide How to Reformat and Reinstall your Operating System by Trevuren.
When the option comes up (not shown) just before 6b, follow the prompts to delete (highlight each in turn) any and all partitions until you whole HDD is one unpartitioned space like just before step 7.

At step 7, make sure you choose the option shown, not "quick" nor "FAT" options.

After your new XP is set up you can re-connect your 2nd HDD.
Next glitch: Installation of XP and SP1 complete. But I'm not connected to the internet. I have ADSL and the modem seems to be working, but no connection shows under Internet Connections. Called the semi-useless overnight tech at my ISP. All he could tell me was he thought the drivers (not exactly sure WHAT drivers) weren't installed, told me to run the other disk w/my OS disk. I did. Nowt. He then said the drivers "unfortunately" were not installed correctly, and could not tell me how to do that. Or much else, save to have a nice evening. I'll see what I can learn by asking Google, but am hoping you know what this is about and what to do. Should I be starting a new thread for getting the computer back together, or is it still in the scope of this one?
You need an Ethernet driver for your system before your ADSL will work.

If need be, tell me exactly what your system is and I can advise on a link if necessary.

If you are not sure, download, install and run Speccy to find out.
OK, found and installed. SP3 installed. Firewall on and MSE installed and updated. E-mail reconnected. More updates installing now from MS. Some glitches in the processes, but seems to be well on the way to getting back up to speed. I'll yell if I get stuck, but I guess you've got me on my feet. Thanks, Lee, very much. denno

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI