This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue screen what do I do?

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Computer was getting funky again, most times I opened Google or FB in Firefox I'd get non-responsive script warnings. Slowing or locking up. Now I have the blue screen each time I boot up, this number: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86F6C678, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000) There's advice about, to download analyzers or fixers, but I don't know how to get online to do that. Get into F2 or F12 or something? Meanwhile resorting to wife's computer, which is a little funky itself, but we'll get to that later. TIA denno
As a long term member, you have of course followed the frequently imparted wisdom here at WTT of regularly backing up your important files and have found your CD that you kept in a safe place (?) :)


You will need an XP Installation CD to try to fix this.
You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the boot order if CD is not set as 1st boot.

1. Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD…" prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

2. When the Recovery Console option is offered Press R to start the Recovery Consol. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually 1).

3. When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

4. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r (there is a space before the /)

5. Enter

Cheers,
Lee
Yeah, I've got iDrive, wife has Carbonite; we once did a restore of a dead HD on hers. I like it! And the installation CD is one of the items I actually put away in the same place all the time. So….lemme see….I don't think I ever get that prompt, but F2 gives me setup? and I can configure there to boot from the CD drive? I think? Then I guess I see if a Recovery Console actually comes up… Will report, thanx.
Actually, the process proceeded pretty much as you outlined. However, it didn't fix the problem. I repeated, and so does the BS (so to speak) The first time through it reported having fixed some problems; the second time not. Still cerulean, after all this tech. wot's next? Thanks again
Oops! I went through the steps to: ren system system.bak got = that name already exists tried getting cute: ren system albert.bak (as in "what do you call that haircut?") got = the system cannot find the specified file tried: rename albert.bak system.bak got= a directory or file of the same name, etc. tried: cd\ got = command not recognized tried: cd (space) \ got = D:\> thought at this point I'd better admit having been frivolous and ask for help!
0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86F6C678, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)
This stop error means that your ntfs file system is corrupt (damage in the file system, bad hard drive data, corrupt SCSI or IDE drivers).

Usually chkdsk /r fixes the problem.

Try for a system restore again from the recovery console.

9. Type "cd \" (without quotes) and press "Enter" to return to the root of the C drive.

You have to be careful to watch for spaces. cd\ compared to cd \ as above.

Why you ended up with D: I have no idea unless your OS is on D: or you have a corrupt C: partition (if your OS in on C:).

Give it another shot but don't try being cute as you might end up altering file names that no longer respond to commands.

———————————————————————–

Next option.

If the above system restore fails you will have to think about doing a XP reinstall or even consider moving on to W7 or W8.
ummmm…haven't I already changed a file name? i.e., "system" to "albert.bak" Then again, what ought I to have done when it first told me there was also a file called system.bak? That's when the fixit program appeared to go off track.
Don't worry about it. I tried it myself and that restore from recovery doesn't work and nor do several others (all mostly different) I have tried, including a slightly different one here at WTT http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=105819 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my XP computer that I correctly tried all methods out on.

Maybe a corrupt SAM database as Paws suggested in the above thread, but I know there is (obviously) nothing wrong with my SAM database and the restore method still didn't work.

I tend to believe what I read somewhere on "geeks to go": "restore methods from the repair console seldom work". Perhaps people who suggest them should try them out first (?) Might be a good idea :lol:

Here is a radically different one I haven't tried (I'm not going to either) you might like to have a go at:

Step 1: Boot the Recovery Console from the Windows XP installation CD.

Step 2: When you’re at the Recovery Console command prompt, change into the root directory of the system drive with the cd command (i.e., cd \).

Step 3: Change into the System Volume Information directory by typing cd system~1 on most machines, or cd “System Volume Information.”

Step 4: The System Volume Information directory contains a folder name _restore followed by a GUID in curly braces. Change into it by typing cd _resto~1; if that doesn’t work you’ll have to type cd “_restore{GUID_STRING}”, with the full GUID string in place of GUID_STRING.

Step 5: In the _restore directory are a group of subdirectories starting with the letters RP and followed by a number. These are the different restore points available for that volume.

Step 6: Check the date on each directory and look for one that corresponds to a date before you began experiencing problems.

Step 7: Change into the appropriate directory. If the directory is named RP74, for instance, change into it by typing RP74.

Step 8: Inside that directory will be a subdirectory named snapshot; change into that directory as well (cd snapshot)

Step 9: The snapshot directory holds backup copies of the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM Registry hives, named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE and _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, respectively.

Step 10: The target directory for these files is \Windows\System32\Config, and the hives there are named SOFTWARE and SYSTEM. Rather than overwrite those files entirely, you can rename them to something else. Typing ren \windows\system32\config\software \windows\system32\config\software.bak and ren \windows\system32\config\system \windows\system32\config\system.bak will rename them to software.bak and system.bak, respectively.

Step 11: Copy in the backup hives: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software and copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

Step 12: Type exit to leave the Recovery Console and restart the computer.



Failing the above, I can see no other option than for you than to do a reinstall of XP.
OK Outa town 36 hours, will try this weekend, probably and report. As to XP reinstall….AAARRGH! But I've done it before. thanks denno ohhh–BTW, seems long ago you could reinstall w/o loosing all your files. Maybe it was W95? This has all changed? When I did the previous reinstall I had to separately reinstall all files and programs.
You can do a repair install which will save your files and programs. I can let you know how to do that if needed.

PS edit:
Maybe we should have jumped straight to this, it would have saved a lot of messing around but it's the last thing Techs. like to do (nuke and pave).
Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step All you will have to do is re-set your XP personal setting and do all the XP updates again as a Repair Install will strip them from your OS. Your programs and data should be fine, so doing this is no biggy. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI