Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox update stuck in a loop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

...yeah, and it never finishes, I guess. I installed PSI, and among other things it said my FF needed updating. So I clicked that. It said I had to reboot to complete the update. I did. Seems I could open FF to restore the previous session okay. But if I try to call up the program from any of my icons or the program list in the start button, it tells me I have to reboot to complete the update. Help quickly, please! (I guess I can use IE in the meanwhile, but got none of my bookmarks, such as my bank account..... TIA denno Hour later....after a finally-successful Windows update, FF is behaving again. So....n-e-e-e-e-e-e-ver mind, I guess.... Nope! One minute later, it's back again. Whatthetech???

Edited by denno, 29 November 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi denno, Not sure what's going on here... Have you tried closing down Firefox, then uninstalling Firefox, rebooting your computer and then reinstalling? Let us know if this helps Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

i agree with paws, i'm confused because i've never seen a firefox update needing the user to reboot the pc, sounds more like what a malware program would want the user to do. :popcorn:

#4 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'll give that a try. As for malware, just did a cleanout (twice). Lemme see if I can find the threads.
Meanwhile, I don't want to lose my copious bookmarks and saved passwords.
Looked this up, somewhere said to save the bookmark file to the desktop. How about passwords?
Would it work to have IE import all that from FF, then reinstall FF and re-import from IE?

I use FF due to some long-forgotten irritation w/IE. Don't suppose I have to be wedded to it. Any recommendations for a browser?

Thanks
denno

previous threads leading up to this:

http://forums.whatth...h...124638&st=0

http://forums.whatth...mp;#entry805240

http://forums.whatth...mp;#entry805240

Edited by denno, 30 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I use FF due to some long-forgotten irritation w/IE. Don't suppose I have to be wedded to it. Any recommendations for a browser?

Opera is very good (will import firefox bookmarks no problems), but that is only my user bias and IE9 ain't too shabby either!

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

no as far as i'm aware you can't save the passwords and import them into another browser like you can with the bookmarks. personally i'd stick with firefox just as long as you can get it working once you've followed paws instructions of un-installing it and then re-installing. :popcorn:

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Uninstalling the reinstall Firefox won't wipe out your passwords, favorites, etc unless you tell it to. For safety though, copy your Firefox profile folder to another location then if something does go wrong you can get everything back.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

How to transfer Firefox passwords to Opera.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#9 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

OK, now....(thanks, Lee)...I have saved password and bookmark files to my desktop, check.
Gone to Control Panel.....removed something called Firefox Maintenance (or something like that).
Clicked on uninstall Firefox 17 and....voila!...You Must Restart Your Computer To Complete An Earlier Installation Of Firefox. Do You Want To Restart Now?

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

It is a very good idea to keep ALL passwords and usernames for the Internet, email, Windows, general and home-banking in a simple master utility, and especially not trust banking details to anywhere on your computer.

I use a the simple (open source) utility called KeePass that requires a master password to enter to obtain access to all passwords, URLs and account info. I also use their USB version as a backup that I keep on a small thumbdrive which requires no PC installation. All entries are encrypted using the most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).

I can copy entry info to Windows clipboard and post it into any other program of my choice or drag-and-drop. The same works for copying passwords.

#11 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Well, now. I pursued the crude path of going to Program Files and deleting the Mozilla folder; fully aware that threads of programs may be insinuated all over the computer. Nonetheless, the folder disappeared and I downloaded Firefox anew. And while I was hunting around for how to reinstall my saved password and bookmark files, I discovered that they were already there, I know not how. For the nonce, things seem to be back working. There are still times when I'm opening a page and it says "done" but it still seems to hang up so I can't immediately scroll. Dunno if this is lack of a supercomputer, or cranky internet service, or what. Nothing too dreadful at the moment. Guess if I identify a specific problem I'll bring it back to the forum. Thanks for input, y'all. Always a little wonky feeling when we do not find out what was actually wrong, but wotthehell, archie, wotthehell. denno

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Firefox stores personal data separate from where it's installed. For instance, under Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 it's all under

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown