Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firexfox start-up slow

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hey out there, I read these forms, and ya'll amaze me with your concern for us duffers. Keep up the good work! Last week three things happened on the same day: 1. While I was uninstalling DeductionPro(part of TaxCut), because PSI reported it had a potential security weakness, I got a buffer overflow alert from Comodo, saying something about explorer.exe, which closed before chose between terminate or skip. 2. Windows update delivered EI8. 3. Firefox start-up got quite slow. Use to be My Avast ball would turn a couple of times then Comodo would show traffic, and there was Firefox and my home page. Now the ball turns a couple of times and all stops, no hourglass , much later activity resumes and Firefox finally loads. In safe mode Firefox loads instantaneously. I think this is affecting the connection time for updating Spybot, Malwarebytes', and Spywareblaster. At first I thought the culprit was the installation, But now I think it is an EI8 issue. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks, Billed P. S. Running Windows XP home and Firefox 3.0.10

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:35 AM

EI8 is IE 8 (OUCH!)----sorry!!!

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi billed.

Try uninstalling IE8 from Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. You will have to check the Show Updates box at the top for it to be visible I believe.

If that doesn't work or it doesn't show up there, follow these directions from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Above link posted by rosebaud here: http://forums.whatth...985#entry560985

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hey Ztruker, Thanks for your inputs, particularly given I messed up my post so badly. I am going to follow your suggestions. I did think about uninstalling IE 8, but was concerned, since I didn't see any other Internet Explorer in my add remove programs list. In my simple mind Windows and Internet Explorer are intertwined, and Firefox "references" some of the things in Internet Explorer. I may have been in error to call this a Firefox start up problem. If I'm already on the internet and have JavaRa search for updates, it loads the Java website quickly. On the other hand, if I start with with JavaRa it takes forever to get to the website. The hesitation seem to be connecting to the net; however I don't understand why I get to my home page so quickly when I run Firefox in safe-mode. Once I'm on the net things seem to go fine. Thanks again and you have a safe and fun holiday, Billed

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Do you mean you are running FireFox in safe mode? Or, you are booting Windows into safe mode and then running firefox?

If you are running firefox in safe mode and it works you can be pretty sure it is an add-on screwed up.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

When you uninstall IE8, you will get IE7 back.

Rich

#7 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hey Folks, Sorry so slow getting back, but took the working wife out of town for the holiday weekend(smart move). I haven't done my homework yet, but Ztruker you nailed my concern. Thanks for the comment. Appleoddity I don't think I'm running Windows in safe-mode--I didn't know it had one and I just learned Firefox had safe-mode while doing reading for this problem, and as such I don't yet understand it. As far as I know, the only changes I made to Firefox was to eliminate the bookmarks toolbar which I did under View. I never used it and it sat in prime real estate. I just went to add-ons and find under extensions Java Quick Starter 1.0, and under Themes Default 3.0.10, and under Plugins there is a long list with names like Garmin communicator plug-in, iTune application detector, Java platform SE 6 u13, etc.. I don't know what all that means, but can I disable and re enable these one at a time? Thanks for the help folks. I'm off to unpack and do my homework. Billed

#8 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hey out there, I uninstalled IE8 and Firefox loads up rapidly. :) During the uninstall I got a warning that Adobe Reader and iTunes would not work properly since the were downloaded with IE8. I uninstalled them too. I can download them again when I need them. I think I'll be back in this situation with the next Windows automatic update, It will probably include IE8 again. I know Doug recommends manual updating of Microsoft stuff, but I don't feel competent enough yet to manage that properly. I'm in the process of building my internet security fortress and figured custom updating of Microsoft would be one of the last steps. These machines are such moving targets! This morning I received a message that Comodo has "folded" BoClean into there Comodo Internet Security, which I think means I can't use their firewall( which I do) with real-time anti-spyware programs such as ThreatFire or SpywareGuard. I think this means I have to re-think my fortress, since I was contemplating moving from BoClean to ThreatFire. Well I'm good for now. Thanks to both you guys, but why am I the only one with this "interference". I do wish I was smarter. Billed

#9 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hi billed

Just a little test to run, to eliminate the firefox add ons would be to run firefox in safemode.

This is how you do that:-

Click Start,
then point to All Programs,
then Mozilla Firefox,
then Click on Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode)

A window called "Firefox Safe Mode" with some troubleshooting options will appear.
Click Continue in Safe Mode, without checking any of the boxes.

After Firefox has been launched(Safe Mode), see how IE 8 starts and runs compared to when running it with Firefox in Normal Mode.

I had a similar problem not so long ago, though I was running IE7 with a earlier version of FF, I just uninstalled FF via add/remove and upgraded to IE 8 and the latest version of FF.
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Change your Automatic Updates setting to Notify me but don't automatically download and install them. The when you are offered IE8 the next, uncheck it then proceed as normal. You will get a window where you can check a box that says to not offer you this update again. You'll probably have to do that several times a year as MS seems to conveniently forget you choice and offer it again anyway.

Rich

#11 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hey Ztruker, Thanks for the advice, I've already gotten the notification from Microsoft to update to IE8. I tried uninstalling both IE8 and Firefox and then reinstalling, but that didn't help. For now I'm flying on IE7 and Firefox and things are fine. Thanks for the help, Billed

#12 FFKefka77

FFKefka77

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hey, yea I ran into the same problem with my 3 systems like a week ago and was wondering if the update 2 FF3.0.10 was the culprit but once I did some digging and uninstalled IE8, everything was back to normal. I then did Custom check for Windows Update and then unchecked IE8 from the list (Hide update). As for Comodo, I use Avira Personal, which is the free edition, and CIS just the firewall w/ max protection. They give you the option to their AV, Firewall, and 30 Pro trial, which I only checked Firewall. They have added BOClean into the newer builds of CIS cause the original BOClean is was being discontinued and has now been deactivated. But I dont seem to run into any sort of issues with having CIS and Avira working together while using FF to browse the internet and such. BTW, CIS = Comodo Internet Security and FF = Firefox, if any1 was wondering on the abbreviations. Kefka

#13 billed

billed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hey FFefKa77,

It's good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem, but I'm not noticing a ground swell that lots of us are suffering.

Computers are so much fun, now some of my programs have trouble connecting to the internet. These machines are such moving targets.

I, like you use Comodo CIS firewall only and was using BoClean, but I think the integration of it into CIS put BoClean in the AV part of CIS. I think this means one has to choose to use Comodo's AV or use a program like SpywareGuard or ThreatFire to have real-time protection.----Remember I'm a real DUMMY and check out Doug's writeup here http://forums.whatth...ing_t98700.html . I think he is saying one needs a real- time security program, and only ONE.

Good luck and Thanks,
Billed