Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to open Firefox after "not responding"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

This morning, firefox suddenly stopped responding. I had to open the task manager to "end task". Now, it won't reopen. I have restarted the computer, and I ran spybot s&d, no threats found, my antivirus is avg, again, clean. IE opens fine. I'm running Windows Vista (32 bit). I had a similar problem two days ago with openoffice. I was trying to update it, and it got hung. I ended up re-installing and it works fine now. I'm concerned about re-installing firefox, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks! (lesson learned, I'll be storing those online now too...) Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Edited by bensmumma, 21 January 2008 - 08:10 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hello Bensmumma,

Sorry you are having problems with your Browser,

Go to File (top left) on your Firefox if you can open it, scroll to Export Favorites to your desk top using the wizard provided to do so. Then I would uninstall Firefox from Add and Remove then download and install it again. You can then import your favorites back into the new installation.

I would use this Cleanup Utility and reboot between uninstalling and installing Firefox again.

I hope this helps you.

kind regards,

#3 Softix

Softix

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

I think it is much better if you just re install firefox because I got the same problem before. If you need to keep your bookmarks you just need to import it and in the installation process it also asked you if you like to keep your bookmark or not.

#4 atocruz

atocruz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

This morning, firefox suddenly stopped responding. I had to open the task manager to "end task". Now, it won't reopen. I have restarted the computer, and I ran spybot s&d, no threats found, my antivirus is avg, again, clean. IE opens fine.

I'm running Windows Vista (32 bit).

I had a similar problem two days ago with openoffice. I was trying to update it, and it got hung. I ended up re-installing and it works fine now.

I'm concerned about re-installing firefox, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks! (lesson learned, I'll be storing those online now too...)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Hello, have the same problem yesterday but my problem was now solved! U need to download bitdefender bec other antivirus didn't detect other viruses. Bitdefender CAN detect other viruses.

After i installed Bitdefender, i can now open firefox. I think the problem was due to malwares, trojan, and other viruses that cause blocking firefox.

Hope this will help!

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hello Atocruz and welcome to WhatTheTech!!! First of all, thanks for sharing valuable information about how you resolved your problem. This thread is a little outdated so the original poster probably already resolved their issues sufficiently, but for future readers this may prove valuable still. I wanted to point out that we don't really have enough information from the original poster to decide if this is a malware problem or a problem related to some other issue. Certainly malware is a major cause of browser problems, and in your case it appears to have been the problem. While BitDefender is a good product, and probably would resolve many malware issues, it is impossible to say that BitDefender would definitely cure this problem as it has in your case. We also can not claim that BitDefender is a universal solution to this type of problem, nor to malware in general. Malware is very cunning and without a vast arsenal of specialized tools, it is unlikely that any single malware removal product such as BitDefender could completely clean a significant malware infection. I am glad that you were able to find a resolution to your problem. Again, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.