This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to open Firefox after "not responding"

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This morning, firefox suddenly stopped responding. I had to open the task manager to "end task". Now, it won't reopen. I have restarted the computer, and I ran spybot s&d, no threats found, my antivirus is avg, again, clean. IE opens fine. I'm running Windows Vista (32 bit). I had a similar problem two days ago with openoffice. I was trying to update it, and it got hung. I ended up re-installing and it works fine now. I'm concerned about re-installing firefox, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks! (lesson learned, I'll be storing those online now too…) Any ideas? Thanks in advance…
Hello Bensmumma,

Sorry you are having problems with your Browser,

Go to File (top left) on your Firefox if you can open it, scroll to Export Favorites to your desk top using the wizard provided to do so. Then I would uninstall Firefox from Add and Remove then download and install it again. You can then import your favorites back into the new installation.

I would use this Cleanup Utility and reboot between uninstalling and installing Firefox again.

I hope this helps you.

kind regards,
I think it is much better if you just re install firefox because I got the same problem before. If you need to keep your bookmarks you just need to import it and in the installation process it also asked you if you like to keep your bookmark or not.

This morning, firefox suddenly stopped responding. I had to open the task manager to "end task". Now, it won't reopen. I have restarted the computer, and I ran spybot s&d, no threats found, my antivirus is avg, again, clean. IE opens fine.

I'm running Windows Vista (32 bit).

I had a similar problem two days ago with openoffice. I was trying to update it, and it got hung. I ended up re-installing and it works fine now.

I'm concerned about re-installing firefox, I don't want to lose all my bookmarks! (lesson learned, I'll be storing those online now too…)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance…



Hello, have the same problem yesterday but my problem was now solved! U need to download bitdefender bec other antivirus didn't detect other viruses. Bitdefender CAN detect other viruses.

After i installed Bitdefender, i can now open firefox. I think the problem was due to malwares, trojan, and other viruses that cause blocking firefox.

Hope this will help!
Hello Atocruz and welcome to WhatTheTech!!! First of all, thanks for sharing valuable information about how you resolved your problem. This thread is a little outdated so the original poster probably already resolved their issues sufficiently, but for future readers this may prove valuable still. I wanted to point out that we don't really have enough information from the original poster to decide if this is a malware problem or a problem related to some other issue. Certainly malware is a major cause of browser problems, and in your case it appears to have been the problem. While BitDefender is a good product, and probably would resolve many malware issues, it is impossible to say that BitDefender would definitely cure this problem as it has in your case. We also can not claim that BitDefender is a universal solution to this type of problem, nor to malware in general. Malware is very cunning and without a vast arsenal of specialized tools, it is unlikely that any single malware removal product such as BitDefender could completely clean a significant malware infection. I am glad that you were able to find a resolution to your problem. Again, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI