This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Assorted hangups after cleanup

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

And here I am again. Just went through a thorough cleanup with jeffce, still some issues; he sent me here.

Cleanup thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…124638&st=0

What's still going on:
Firefox crashes. All windows go bye-bye. Then my wife gets up in the middle of the night and opens her AOL Mail window and my previous session restore potential is also bye-bye. I'll have to retrain my ever-lovin' on my own, but about FF: Jeff suggests reinstalling it. I'm sure there is a way to do that and retain bookmarks and so forth, and that that is on the FF site, so no sweat, I can try it.
Do you know if these repeated crashes are a symptom of FF, or of something else in the computer?
I'm open to suggestions of other browsers.

Often scrolling is a problem. Sometimes it seems to be a matter of the page's not being fully downloaded. I see a lot of "waiting for…." down in the lower left corner..
I should point out that we live in the hinterlands, where we were amazed and delighted to find DSL available; but this is provided by the tiniest Baby Bell on the planet, and the general service is ok-but-not-great.

Anyhow, often I scroll and first nothing happens and then it jumps half a page, and so forth.
[There's also this thing where I see a page, start to focus on a link, then the page shifts up and down. But this is because all the ads haven't finish opening, and the page keeps reformatting to accommodate them. Patience….]

Outlook Express seems the worst. It loads slowly. Then if I go to, say, a FB link out of an e-mail, then close the FB page, OE comes back slowly in patches; sometimes hangs up all the way. Less of this post-cleanup, but not gone.

Open Office always takes forever to load. The program or just a document. That's always been true.

Another topic for advice: My machine seemed to be really full of junk. How can I avoid this? (I try to be watchful for PUPs, for one). Why did I have 88 iterations of some basic trojan I can't remember the name of? Of COURSE I visit naughty sites….they're THERE. Why doesn't my protection protect me? (MSE and Windows Firewall, auto-updates). Where did I come up with Coupon Companion, which seemed to be a major problem?

Philosophically, I guess some people make malware because they are anti-social. But a lot of the stuff seems to be tracking bugs to collect commercial information and personalize ads (I took a look at FIFTY FREE BUSINESS CARDS and now an offer shows up on every page I ever look at). Tell me HOW it is considered to be of advantage to sellers to screw up people's computers so badly?

Another little thing I'll ask about: I have a severed tendon in my right hand, so my middle finger drags a bit (hell of a thing for a finger-picker). Hence I often hit a 9 when I am typing an "o" — h9ouse; and a few other such. But I also get a lot of doubling of the leetter "e." That's the other hand. Sloppy, or might that be the keyboard and I should get a new one?

I'll add if I see or remember any other behaviors.

Any thoughts on all this?

Thanx,
denno

Another topic for advice: My machine seemed to be really full of junk. How can I avoid this? (I try to be watchful for PUPs, for one). Why did I have 88 iterations of some basic trojan I can't remember the name of? Of COURSE I visit naughty sites….they're THERE. Why doesn't my protection protect me? (MSE and Windows Firewall, auto-updates). Where did I come up with Coupon Companion, which seemed to be a major problem?


I would definitely suggest buying Malwarebytes (full version) to protect your computer from nasties while on the web.

I would also suggest a "repair install" of XP (if you have the disk or can borrow one) for all your other problems as melware usually does it's damage BEFORE it is removed. Removing it, often does not fix any damage done.

Another little thing I'll ask about: I have a severed tendon in my right hand, so my middle finger drags a bit (hell of a thing for a finger-picker). Hence I often hit a 9 when I am typing an "o" — h9ouse; and a few other such. But I also get a lot of doubling of the leetter "e." That's the other hand. Sloppy, or might that be the keyboard and I should get a new one?


I had a stroke which left my right hand next to useless for a long time and my keyboard (no feel) was hopless!
I bought a Quickfire keyboard with a 'Cherry Blue' mechanical key interface. Best thing I ever bought :)

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI