This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Files are scattered throughout other files on computer

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After doing a wonderful clean up of my computer with the techs from spyware, I have noticed that my files are mixed up in to different files. I will be scrolling through documents and find pictures, downloads,etc. And the same for the other flles, I didn't think it was to this degree, I thought at first it was just the picture file, but it isn't. And suggestions as to the best way to get everything back where it goes without lousing it up further or losing anything. I am not looking for a program to do it for me - yeah that would be nice - but I will do it manually, but I have a tendency to screw things up. Just ask Ken, Lee, Satschen and the rest! They have been so great and patient with me. So just a safe way to do this would be great. I had thought if I had multiple windows open on my desktop (which I don't know how to do), I could just drag and drop what went where, but here again, I don't know!! Will welcome any ideas. Thanks.
Here is a nice little reg. tweak that adds "copy to folder" and "move to folder" to your right-click menu.
I have been using it for years and have added it to lots of computers (from XP to W7) to make copying and moving anything to anywhere very easy for people.

Just download the zip folder HERE.
Open the folder and double-click on each reg tweak in turn.

📎ScreenClip000007.jpg

Now reboot and they will be in your right click menu.


Cheers,
Lee
This is great. I was just doing it manually when I got your email - sure will make things go easier. I am putting all the files where I am not sure where they go, into the layouts folder. I think it was you that I told I had all the desktop files in pictures. Well, layout is my new junk drawer. Thanks so much.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI