This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Duplicate Files...

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:wavey: wng_z3r0… I may have ask for the wrong thing! What I'm interested in I guess is tweaking my system. It seems like my desktop reloads my icons ever so often… my often than not. After each change in program I use. Also it seems I read somewhere that sometimes you get duplicate files on your computer and it can cause it to run slower. My computer is clear of anything bad… as far as I know. I ran all updated spyware programs and nothing was found. But it seems my computer is still running kinds slow. Got any good advice? :blink: Thanks for the post! Yaya
sure :D what operating system? also right click on my computer, click on properties note the processor and how much memory
Well, is it service pack 1 or service pack 2?
then download and run these things:

1. tunexp 1.5 It allows you to change how windows handles many things and really speeds things up
2. regseeker
It searches the registry for bad/unneeded reg. keys (always back up registry before messing with it)
3. bootvis
A small program by microsoft that is pretty cool. Even if you dont wanna tweak your system, download this. It records how your computer boots up. Shows some nice stuff… And, there is an optimize feature that speeds up boot times. (takes forever to optimize it though) NOTE: to use bootvis, go to trace->optimize system
4. hd tune
A program to measure hard drive speed
tune xp 1.5:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4194.html

regseeker:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2579.html

bootvis
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

hdtune:
http://www.hdtune.com/
(note: report the results of hdtune when it is done)
*****READ THE DOCUMENTATION THAT COMES WITH THE PROGRAMS***
BTW i use all of these on my computer….
SP1 … I haven't updated to SP2 because I heard it wasn't a very good move… what do you think? Yaya :huh:
:blink: that is an unreal list! I better think on this update! I now have the first two downloads for tunexp 1.5 and regseeker… on my way to the last one. I will be doing some reading before I use them. Thanks so much for all your help! I have a Hijackthis log in waiting… trying to help my sis fix her computer. It's driving me crazy! :weee: Yaya
OH NO!!!!!!!!! wng_z3r0 I just ran Regseeker registry cleaner and got 1281 entries! I don't have a clue where to start. I think I better wait for some help. Would you wanna help me with this… if you have time? :rofl:
Well do this: 1. go to start -> run 2. type in regedit 3. go to file -> export 4. save the file somewhere safe (this is your backup copy just in case) Then close regedit 5. go back to regseeker 6. When it is done, click on the top entry. Then scroll down to the last entry. Then hold shift and click on the last entry. This should highlight all of the registry keys 7. right click on of the registry keys and then click on delete selected items wng
Hi :wavey: Well, I did it… but then it had changed so much… even my desktop. It seemed none of my settings were right. I decided to restore my computer and just leave it to someone who knows what they are doing… and that is not me…YET!
Hi… couldn't get it to export! Thanks for trying to help, but i won't worry you with it anymore. Its not that important. Thanks again! :D Yaya

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI