This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Don't Know Where To Start?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, first of all, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section…..please move if needed. Anyways, I recently (this morning) started having some serious "issues", but I don't know what the root of it is, thus I don't even have the slightest idea where to start problem solving. You guys have helped me in the past, so I thought I would give you a try. :) I can't open up the "My Computer" folder and I think I have some unwanted systems running at startup, but I don't know what (I am pretty much a computer noob, so please bear with me). I ran Spyware X-terminator and Spybot search and destroy, but it didn't help. This is a work computer, and I need to get into the "My computer" icon to access the network. I can get my files by opening up the appropriate program and opening the file that way, but I can't get it the other way. I am sure that there are other problems, but this is the first one I saw and I immediately started looking for help. ANY suggestions? Thanks a bunch! CoolWebSearch was found, but I couldn't get rid of all of it……. when I try to click on the "My Computer" icon, I get a message about Dr. Watsons Postmortem Debugger encountering a problem……..and then everything pretty much locks up. and computer is running slooooow…. thanks
HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:23:18 PM, on 2/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPControl.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPMemCheck.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\CookiePatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tibs5.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\PMM\DESKTOP\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://www.excite.com
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B5A0B57E-BE5F-BB13-6317-E2FCAB757146} - C:\WINDOWS\iewr.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spyware X-terminator Control Center] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3F.tmp] C:\DOCUME~1\PMM\LOCALS~1\Temp\3F.tmp.exe 2 10001
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tibs5] C:\WINDOWS\system32\tibs5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atlcv.exe] C:\WINDOWS\atlcv.exe
O4 - Startup: sync.bat
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {10CA218C-B5AF-45D5-9B00-EE5BB8147FC7} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9D30273F-CF00-48E9-80BD-A7F6B697C23C} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B4D7803E-FCBF-4D1E-95AE-1F2CD7DAB72E} - (no file) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.05p.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.blazefind.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.flingstone.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.my-internet.info
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.scoobidoo.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchbarcash.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.05p.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.blazefind.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.flingstone.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.my-internet.info (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.scoobidoo.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchbarcash.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted IP range: 206.161.125.149
O15 - Trusted IP range: 206.161.125.149 (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {0C3F7D74-ADA5-4976-8908-A8189590DAFA} (3DGreetings.com Player 2.0) - http://expressit.broderbund.com/Plugin/3DGreetings/vroom.CAB
O16 - DPF: {427273CC-764E-11D3-823D-006097F90453} (Pixami Image Editor Control) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes…ab?ver=1,1,0,30
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1095952135546
O16 - DPF: {CF1A5BDE-732F-49B7-AD1F-51010E37F9EB} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by7fd.bay7.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{86583147-AAE3-4131-A11E-36A2199B4135}: NameServer = 192.168.254.254
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
Download THIS file to your desktop.

Right-click on the deldomains.inf file and select 'Install'

Once it is finished your Zones should be reset.

Note, if you use SpywareBlaster and/or IE/Spyads, it will be necessary to re-install the protection both afford. For SpywareBlaster, run the program and re-protect all items. For IE/Spyads, run the batch file and reinstall the protection.

Then boot to safe mode (tap f8 while bios loads) scan with hojackthis and put a check beside these lines and choose FIX.

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B5A0B57E-BE5F-BB13-6317-E2FCAB757146} - C:\WINDOWS\iewr.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3F.tmp] C:\DOCUME~1\PMM\LOCALS~1\Temp\3F.tmp.exe 2 10001
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tibs5] C:\WINDOWS\system32\tibs5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atlcv.exe] C:\WINDOWS\atlcv.exe
O4 - Startup: sync.bat

O16 - DPF: {0C3F7D74-ADA5-4976-8908-A8189590DAFA} (3DGreetings.com Player 2.0) - http://expressit.broderbund.com/Plugin/3DGreetings/vroom.CAB

Then while still in safe mode delete these files

C:\DOCUME~1\PMM\LOCALS~1\Temp\3F.tmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tibs5.exe
C:\WINDOWS\atlcv.exe

Then reboot to normal mode and post a new log please.
I did what you said, but was unable to find this file:

C:\DOCUME~1\PMM\LOCALS~1\Temp\3F.tmp.exe

Now what? ;) By the way, thanks a bunch for your quick help!!

Here is my new HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:46:51 PM, on 2/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPControl.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPMemCheck.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\CookiePatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\PMM\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://www.excite.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spyware X-terminator Control Center] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\STOMPS~1\SPYWAR~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {10CA218C-B5AF-45D5-9B00-EE5BB8147FC7} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9D30273F-CF00-48E9-80BD-A7F6B697C23C} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B4D7803E-FCBF-4D1E-95AE-1F2CD7DAB72E} - (no file) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {427273CC-764E-11D3-823D-006097F90453} (Pixami Image Editor Control) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes…ab?ver=1,1,0,30
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1095952135546
O16 - DPF: {CF1A5BDE-732F-49B7-AD1F-51010E37F9EB} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v12/invinstl.exe
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by7fd.bay7.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{86583147-AAE3-4131-A11E-36A2199B4135}: NameServer = 192.168.254.254
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
I didn't try to open up the "My Computer" icon yet because I was worried about locking up again…….haha I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. So, everything else looks ok? EDIT: Seems to be OK/fully functional……things are faster, no question about that. Thanks again! I have had great luck with this forum - quick, to the point, and successful- thank you all for your help. I just am sorry that I don't ever have anything to add. :(
If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI