This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cleaning up the desktop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there! I have absolutely no idea how to clean up my desktop :lol: . Sounds silly, I know. For a while, I was having a problem with my computer(which you guys helped me clear up- thank you again), and had to save everything before I could run it, or a download wouldn't finish properly. Anyway- whatever the reasons, I have one majorly cluttered desktop, and have no idea how to clean it up, short of delete, and since I need the majority of the programs on there, that's not an option. I realize it's likely a relatively easy fix, but I remain as clueless as ever :D . Thanks! I've tried the "send to" option, but found all it does is send a copy :)
Hi sinnead. Most of the icons on your Desktop are just links to programs installed on your computer. If you see a small arrow in a box in the lower left corner of the icon then it is definitely a link and can be safely deleted.

You can still run the program the link pointed to by going to Start , All Programs and opening the folder that contains the program then clicking on it.

If you want to keep them all together in one place for easy access, but not on your desktop, you can create a new Folder on your desktop by right clicking on an empty area of the Desktop and selecting New, then Folder. Type in a name for the new folder that is meaningful to you.

Now drag the icon with the right mouse button (not left) and drop it on the new folder. When you release the right mouse button you will be prompted to
  • Copy here
  • Move here
  • Create shortcut here
. Select Move here and the icon will move from your desktop into the new folder.

Once you've moved everything you want into the new folder, you should have room to arrange things the way you want them.
I have actually gotten rid of most of the shortcuts. It's the icon for the programs themselves that are cluttering everything up so badly, simply because the way my computer was working at the time. I had to save a new program to my desktop before I could run it. I now have 23 programs saved to my desktop, not including the few shortcuts, or the recycle bin! Or can they be safely moved to a different location on the computer? Or can I do that with the program icons as well- move them to a folder, I mean.
Ah, sorry, didn't understand. Yes, you can move downloaded programs to a folder on the desktop as well. I do this for every program I download. I have a folder on my F: drive called Sources. Every time I download a program I create a folder for it, usually the name of the program, then download it there. That way if I ever want it again, I have it. If not, I uninstall it and delete the folder. If you have already installed these programs and have no need to reinstall them, you can just delete them from your Desktop.
Ztruker- let me get this straight. You are telling me deleting the program icon, not the shortcut with the arrow, but the program icon, will not affect how the program operates? Because I did this with one of my HP program icons, and although it may be coincidence, it's not worked right since. I had to uninstall, then reinstall the entire thing.
A program icon is just a pointer to the program itself, so deleting it's icon should not cause a problem. Deleting a folder that contains the program can cause problems but they should not be on the desktop.

From what you described previously, it sounded like the icons on the desktop were files you had downloaded and installed while cleaning up your computer. Those are the ones I meant that you could safely delete.

How about capturing a picture of your desktop and uploading it here so I can look at it. It's often said, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

See here for How to capture screen images
See here for How to upload an image to your thread
I would, but I already used that folder idea :D , and have relocated everything I'm not regularly using! Thanks anyway. That's all I wanted- to clear everything up! =)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI