I did something to my computer and now I cannot figure out how to get my desktop and my documents back. What I'm trying to describe is the window that I open (win7) to see my computer (C:\), my recovery drive (D:\), my USB drive (E:\) my Desktop; My Documents, etc. What this window shows now has been included in the attachment. If I want to get to my documents I have to click in the browser in the top of the window and put in a \ then my documents and suddenly they will all show up. But I shouldn't have to do that. So whatever it is that I'd done can you help me to recover the ability to just see things in that OPEN window the way it should be?
Missing Desktop and My Documents - Win7
2 min read
What are you clicking on (opening) to get the window shown in your image?
Is it a windows Explorer icon or Computer icon?
I'm clicking on the Windows Explorer. When I do this on my home computer I get the screen that is shown in the new attachment. It gives me Favorites and Libraries all filled in with the appropriate files. That's what I want to see when I click Windows Explorer on my office computer.
Try this:
Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button [external image: 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.], clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
Click the Restore Defaults button.
OK, I'll try it on Monday when I get back to the office. Thanks, let's see what happens.
I tried restore defaults. It didn't help me to get the My Documents, etc icons back on the Win Explorer. Perhaps you might have another suggestion?
What I was able to accomplish this morning in regards to this "Missing My Documents" issue was to open the windows explorer icon (again, this is windows 7) and I still cannot see MY DOCUMENTS or MY DESKTOP, MY PICTURES, etc. Then I clicked on the Start button and clicked Documents and up came the screen … from windows explorer giving me all the names of the docs. I took a screenshot of this folder next to the folder that normally shows up in Explorer. Notice at the top of the screen it says Libraries with an arrow? If I click on that arrow I can see my pictures, etc.
I still don't know how to retrieve My Documents by just opening the Explorer.
Sorry but I don't either. I've run out of ideas.
Try creating a new user account, see if the problem exists there.
Restore your default libraries: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/581-libraries-restore-default.html
Restore your default favorites: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104440-favorites-restore-default-favorite-links-navigation-pane.html
Cheers! ![]()
Yes! That did it. It wasn't the restore default settings; it was the hidden files instruction. My files were all there … just hidden. Thanks, much
You're welcome. Have a Merry Christmas!
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI