This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't create new folder in windows 7 music

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,In all my folders I have the option to create a new folder in the context menu except for my music folder and I also can't move folders to and from my music folder from my mp3 player when it is connected. I am using windows 7 and am not very good with it.IThe folders were working fine a while ago but I must have done something and I don't know what it is I've done . If anyone can help with this issue it would be much appreciated.
Right there are 2 issues here, lets separate them for clarity, as they are not related. The simplest answer is for the mp3 issue, and put quite simply, if you have anything open, eg playing some music, or using\connected to a folder you want to edit, eg an external device of any type, you won't be able to, as the error usually tells you it is in use, you MUST close\remove ALL devices etc connected to a folder you want to edit, once done you can connect back again, it's a bit like trying to mend a moving part while it's still moving, it has to be stopped before you can touch it, if that makes sense. Now the new folder, I am really not sure here, if it was just gone that I get, but to be unavailable in a single specific folder doesn't make sense to me, and I have never had dealings with such a situation, there are a few ways to restore the New Folder option, but I have no idea if such ways would be wise until we know more as most involve registry edits, and although I am happy to mess with such things on my own systems etc, I don't have the experience the other guys do there, so would rather they advise if that's an option in your case, but while waiting try right clicking on the My Music folder, and select Properties, click on the Security tab, and report back with who can edit it, as a guide on mine I can see that Everyone has Allow against everything except Special Permissions, I am wondering at this stage if it may be a simple permission issue, hope this helps a bit anyway.
How long has this been a problem?

You could try doing a System Restore to a date before this started happening. It won't mess with your data, it just restores system files and registry to an earlier time.

See here: System Restore: frequently asked questions
Hi Guys, this started a month or so ago.I was wondering if it could be something to do with my anti-virus kaspersky as I fixed all the optional vulnerabilities. Every other folder including the desktop works perfect but for some reason I can't create new folders or move folders into the music folder. I have checked on the permissions etc,etc. I'll give an example of what I mean :I have a shortcut on my desktop called music.if I click on this it brings me to artists(no option to create new folder here). then underneath this folder is My Music folder(all albums are still in artists mode(can't create new folders or move folders in this one either)however if I go into the artists folder from here(stil can't create new folder but on the left hand windows explorer panel I have the option to create a new folder. When my mp3 player is hooked up and I try to move an album from it into music I get a small symbol which is like a red stop sign on the cursor. I'm completely puzzled could my music folder be corrupted or do you think it could be a permission thing?
Other than trying a System Restore, try booting to Safe Mode. See if you can create a folder there. If so then something is starting at boot that is preventing this.

Another possibility could would be to run ShellExView and look at all the pink highlighted items. May disable them a few at a time and see if that fixes the problem. You can enable them if no change.
Thanks for trying to help guys! much appreciated. I am gonna call out my local pc guy as I am completely lost in windows 7 and it is probably something simple. cheers! :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI