This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't move, rename or delete a folder

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi!! Was a while since I posted here. Anyhow, onwards to my problem. I just cleaned up my desktop and when I got to one folder I got the message that I can not delete the folder because it is not empty. But when I get into the folder and try to go into another folder (folder with many sub folders) it don let me get in it, nothing happends if I try to open it. I had many other files in the folder but I moved folder by folder to find out which folder was preventing me to move them. Is there any way to force windows to delete, copy or move the folder? Do I go nuts over this or what :pullhair: Edit: Have searched on google, what I found suggested me to go into Safe-Mode and try from there, but it dit not help. Not either taking ownership over the folder worked.
It certainly can be annoying when this predicament happens but 'caution' should be the prime mental state, not annoyance and especially not anger :angry:

'File Unlocker' is a Malware free utility
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Obviously their is a reason why a file or folder will not open or allow itself to be deleted and having the means to force the issue can often lead to disastrous consequences :(

As I have no idea what the mentioned files or folders contain, I'd go with the 'caution' rule.

Before using Unlocker:

1. Make sure you have administer privileges, as not having them might be the cause of your difficulties. If this is not the case, before removing the files or folder do an ERUNT registry back up.

2. Downloading and how to use ERUNT:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Backup_your_…try_t92988.html

3. Create a system restore point and call it 'before folder removal'.

If you have OS problems after the file or folder removal, you can do a system restore, followed by a registry restore from the ERUNT folder (System Restore isn't perfect, so an ERUNT restore as well helps).

If there is a boot-up problem, you can go to safe mode and choose "Last know good start-up".

Good Luck :thumbup:

Cheers,
Lee
Hi and thx for the reply. I tried Unlocker efter I made a backup of the registry with Erunt but nothing happened. When I tried it on the main folder, it replyed with "No locking handle found" (roughe translation from my native languge :P ) but when I treid it on one of the folders I can't open, nothing happends. No message of anything. If I try to delete it afterwards I still get the message that I can't delete it. Have any advice? Thx again. Can have use for Erunt :)
Are the main folder and the sub-folder, folders that you have created for yourself to contain documents and images and such? If the Folders are instead created by the Operating System or application programs, then it may not be advisable to delete. Nevertheless, please give us the Names of any Folders you are seeking to Delete. We will then possibly be able to assist you with understanding what the Folder is used for and what files it may contain if it is an OS or application folder creation. Best Regards
Unlocker is a very powerful utility. If it cannot unlock the folder or sub-folders, I'd be especially wary of moving on to stronger methods :smack: As Doug's post inquired, what the folder and sub-folders are or contain, would help significantly. Have you recently (accidently perhaps) moved any Windows OS files to your desktop? Cheers, Lee
The folder came from a download. And the folders should not contain any files that my OS has created, it would be weird. I am a litle shame here since the download is a program, that I now after tested it out, want to remove again since it is a cracked version of the full program :whistling: . I have decided to get rid of all cracked programs on my PC and go for legit versions. Smaking myself on the fingers right now :P Anyhow, the names of the folder: Skrivbord 2010-05-10 Adobe After Effects CS4 ACS4MC- Keygen Keygen (X-FORCE) Additional Script blocker (in case of problems) Extra Script Block __MACOSX Block Adobe Activation.app Block Adobe Activation.app Contents So my path to the folders egin with: C:\Documents and Settings\\Skrivbord\Skrivbord 2010 0910 If you don't know what "Skrivbord" means, it means "Desktop" since I am a Swedish guy :wavey: I know this forum is against pirated software, that is one of the resons I want to get rid of those I have. The other is that many of them have naste things in them, for not mention that it's ilegal to download and use them. If you want any more info, let me know. Have a nice day and I will go on a search for any pirated program on my PC with a fine toothed comb and remove them.
Good plan, Acuena
We'll help with that however possible.

What comes to mind if the files are pirated, is that they also might be infected.
It is possible that they have given themselves "System" usergroup permissions.
System is a higher level of permission than even Administrator.
If this is the case, you won't be able to remove those folders and files with ordinary tools from your Administrator user login.

We don't know, but I'd think it would be a very good idea to head over to Virus Spyware & Malware Removal Forum right away.
With the advanced tools available to those Specialists, any infection and most inappropriate Permission can be identified and hopefully reduced.

Best Regards
I really do appreciate the honesty :yeah: Perhaps you can find a restore point from safe mode that is still there from before you installed the 'problem'? You could try this, but be very hesitant about using it for any other purposes than your present problem: Full permissions (an Administator above the Administator …this is my GOD registry hack): go to Start and then run. Type in ( regedit ) without the brackets. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM\SAM To go beyond SAM you have to give yourself permission by right-clicking the second SAM Key, choose 'Permissions' and highlight the 'Administrator' Click the 'Full Control' box and tick 'allow'. Click 'Apply' and 'OK', then close. You might now have the power to remove the folders (try Unlocker again too). If you still cannot remove the folders, you have a Melware problem. Good luck and cheers, Lee.
To take ownership of a file or a folder

How to take ownership of a file
You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Your User Name, or Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

Your User Name, or administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.

To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:

1. Click Add.
2. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
3. Click OK.
4. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
5. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
6. You can now access the file.

How to take ownership of a folder
You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

I really do appreciate the honesty :yeah:

Perhaps you can find a restore point from safe mode that is still there from before you installed the 'problem'?

You could try this, but be very hesitant about using it for any other purposes than your present problem:

Full permissions (an Administator above the Administator …this is my GOD registry hack):

go to Start and then run.
Type in ( regedit ) without the brackets.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM\SAM
To go beyond SAM you have to give yourself permission by right-clicking the second SAM Key, choose 'Permissions' and highlight the 'Administrator'
Click the 'Full Control' box and tick 'allow'.
Click 'Apply' and 'OK', then close.

You might now have the power to remove the folders (try Unlocker again too).

If you still cannot remove the folders, you have a Melware problem.

Good luck and cheers,
Lee.



If you decide to follow Lee's suggestion, be sure to make a backup of your Registry before making the change.
As Lee has suggested, The recommendation may or may not help in this situation.

But "for sure" after all is said and done, !!! Return the Permissions back to how they were originally set !!!

You just don't want to be operating your machine during ordinary activity of browsing, emailing, downloading, viewing online flash, or listening to tunes, with that elevated level of permissions.

why? Because if you happen to encounter malware, it will acquire that same elevated Permissions, and be able to more easily infect your machine! Not Good!

Generally speaking, malware acquires the same "permission set" as the individual user who is presently logged in.
That's why it is important for you to do most of your work in a Limited User Account Login.
And only log in with administrative permissions for specific tasks such as installing MS updates, installing new applications, and similar.
Then go back to "ordinary use" of applications and internet, while logged in as a Limited User Account Login user.
If you've been downloading… uhm… "less than pristine" software… you're chances of having some nasty in there are very high. If it were me… I'd head over to the Malware Removal area and post some logs for review. Helpers there might even be able to help you with your removal problems once they see some logs.
Ok, thx for the replies. Il go over to the Malware sectiona and post a HiJackThis logg (gotta love that program) :=) I have not tried Lee's suggestion thouge. Sounds a litle tricky. I will however try it if it wont get solved in the Malware section. Cheers
Ok, now I am back at this thread again. As you guys might have seen i posted a thread in the Malware section and I should now be clean from any malware (THANKS LDTate), But the problem with the folders is still there… :(
I do not want to reformat my PC, takes a LITLE time to do that, hope I can find any info to get rid of this folder.


http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=115277

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI