Hello,
My mom uses Juno dial up (don’t need to say how much that hurts ) and her refurbished PC is kaput.
She decided to step it up a bit to Century Links dial up (7mbps) so I bought her a new HP p2-1124 tower.
Problem is no phone modem (new desktops & laptops come with phone modems). She is in her late 70’s and there is no way she will pay $50/month for Comcast (monopoly rip off!).
I have 3 old towers with the 56k modems in them. Can I install one of those into this new one or should I suck it up and pay an extra $50 at Best Buy for an external one? I paid 290.00 for the PC, is it even worth it with dial up?
Thanks for advice you can give.
Denise
What Operating System (Windows XP. Vista, Windows 7) does the new machine have?
At least with XP, and probably with Vista/Win7, you should be able to borrow a PCI Card Modem from a spare machine and install it in her machine.
You may have difficulty finding the correct driver, but we may be able to assist with finding the proper driver if you provide the brand/model number of the PCI Card Modem.
Worth it?
As compared to the alternative?
Keep in mind that Windows XP will reach its End of Support Life Cycle in April 2014.
Hope I'm not being too ambitious, but Let's see if we can put a smile on her face.
She decided to step it up a bit to Century Links dial up (7mbps)
7Mbit/sec does not sound like dial-up to me, but rather DSL. And if she subscribed to DSL, they should have given her a DSL modem to connect to via her Ethernet port (or wireless). If they did not provide one, you can buy one.
To the best of my knowledge, dial-up still tops out at a theoretical 56Kbit/sec, nothing near 1Mb or 7. And typically much less than 56Kbps is actually realized in the real world, without compression - and compression typically is not a pretty thing - at least not with anything dealing with graphics, which is pretty much everything, but plain text.
I can find where CenturyLink has something they are calling dial-up, but it is not real dial up, but a slow DSL and it comes in at 786Kbps, but again, nothing near 7Mbps. I do not see where CenturyLink (after merging with Qwest and Embarq and others) is still offering dial-up - but then it keeps trying to tell me what's available here in the Omaha area where I live.
Hi Doug and Digetari,
I’m rethinking this problem, so before we go any further I’m wondering if she ends up staying with the 56k dial up will the size of the hard drive and memory make any difference in her connection speed and load speeds?
I’m wondering if she ends up staying with the 56k dial up will the size of the hard drive and memory make any difference in her connection speed and load speeds?
No. When she is using the Internet, everything, and I mean everything on her computer will be waiting for the next chunk of data to come agonizingly slow through the dial-up connection. By a long ways, the very limited bandwidth of dial-up will be her greatest (worst!) bottleneck.
Disk size has nothing to do with performance. The amount of free disk space is what matters. Windows needs free disk space for temporary files, opened files, and the page file.
The amount of RAM has nothing to do with this either. Certainly, low amounts of RAM will affect computer performance, but again - at least when on line - that dial-up modem will be the bigger bottleneck, not RAM.
Hi Denisemm,
Just to add my two pennyworth into the excellent advice you have already received, here are some thoughts about the tribulations of using narrow band for Internet via a 56k modem (sometimes referred to as "dial up"
Using a slow connection like 56K will prove very frustrating as Digerati has pointed out. Almost all programmers now believe that everone is on a fast internet connection and as a result most programmes that call home to update themselves will tend to slow down your computer so that it is practically unworkable….. here's a typical scenario
1 Some folks like to have Windows download and install Windows Updates automatically ( to keep the computer up to date and as free from exploits and vulnerabilities as possible) many of these updates are large and will take many hours to download on a dial up 56kmodem…during the time this is happening the Use of the Internet for other purposes will be slow and unresponsive……
2 Adobe Reader, Flash and Java if they are installed all have security vulnerabilities on their older versions….. its important therefore for the latest versions to be downloaded and installed…… on a dial up connection…Yes you have guessed it it will make the use of the Internet slow and unresponsive…..
3 Its important that security applications like for example anti virus, anti spyware, firewall etc are kept fully up to date with the latest definitions, these are often updated daily and whilst this is happening …. well its the "slows" again!
4 Printer software will also often try and update itself, as well as lots of other programmes, toolbars etc and quite often they will all try and update at the same time……
I won't' go on as I'm sure you will get my drift….. however to sum up its very difficult nowadays to remain safe ,updated, and fully protected on the Internet whilst using a slow narrow band 56k modem….. its also a very frustrating experience trying to use a computer that will seem slow and unresponsive in this way….
If there is any chance of your mother getting broadband at an affordable price then this would be far and away the best option
Regards
paws
during the time this is happening the Use of the Internet for other purposes will be slow and unresponsive……
Not to mention, the phone line will be tied up, and if Call Waiting is not disabled first, the connection may be dropped if someone else tries to call in while on line with Dial-Up.
The Windows Update point paws noted is very important because too often, because it does take so long, many users forgo updating, which leaves their computers vulnerable. Not a good thing. Same thing with her security programs, which get frequent signature/definition file updates - often daily.
Now I don't suspect we really have to sell you on the virtues of broadband vs dial-up, and I understand the monthly budget plays a huge role, especially with many seniors who might be on a limited, fixed income. Broadband does not ensure security, in fact, it has some disadvantages too. But generally, besides speed, broadband allows you, and your computer to stay current much easier, often in the background while she's reading her email, or looking up a recipe. And keeping our computers updated, with the latest Windows and security program updates is key to keeping our computers, our identities, our bank accounts, our families, and ourselves safe.
Hi Paws & Digerati,
Man I have sat at her house while waiting for the connection, then the Av update, then this update and just waiting for the emails to download. Not only did I cook the full dressed turkey dinner waiting for the ‘loading’ but raised the turkey from a hatching waiting for the 56k. Forget water boarding for compulsion to tell all, make them use a 56k dial up!
I spent Sunday afternoon going over all her pricing options, mostly bundling phone, internet & satellite TV. It has taken awhile but I think I have gotten through to her that if she sticks with 56k she will never see any improvement, maybe even degrading performance over time.
She needs to get approval from her town home association for a satellite dish (if she goes that route). That will be a few days and then I am up to Northern MN next week to do some fishing, lounging around and maybe a bottle of wine or two.
Mom will have her decision made by the time I get back. So I returned the PC because if she stays with the 56K I think she should just come to my house to use PC or go the library.
Digerati, thanks for the links for seniors. Comcast is a no go. She is paying them $130 a month for phone & basic digital TV. We tried to get better pricing and they just offered to bundle the internet with a premium digital package, blah blah blah for a few months. Would have been $20 more for 6 months then regular prices.
Thanks again guys for all your help. It really does help towards making the best decisions.
Off topic, any thoughts on Direct TV vs. Dish network? Should I start a new thread?
Man I have sat at her house while waiting for the connection, then the Av update, then this update and just waiting for the emails to download. Not only did I cook the full dressed turkey dinner waiting for the ‘loading’ but raised the turkey from a hatching waiting for the 56k. Forget water boarding for compulsion to tell all, make them use a 56k dial up!
lol
All I know about Direct TV, Disk, and DSL is they are all slower than cable (though still much faster than dial-up). Only FiOS (fiber) is consistently faster.
Have you talked to the town home association? Surely other residents have Internet access. What are they using?
Thanks Paws, always happy for input.
Digerati, Mom's going to ask a couple of neighbors that have dishes. The sibs will have to work with her this upcoming week as I am officially on vacation.
Thanks a bundle again everyone, you guys are the best.
Denise
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI