Hello
Currently I run an ethernet cable from my modem to my router, then from the router to the desktop. This way I have internet with the desktop and internet wirelssly with the laptop.
I'll be visiting a friend who also has Comcast. Comcast said I can use the modem legally.
I wanted to know if I am ok with the same set up desribed above but with her using her modem or if I should run an ethernet cable from my router directly to my laptop. Obviously, in both cases the isp cable goes to the modem first.
I would nprefer to use both pcs if possible but am not sure it would work.
Belkin said both ways would work but I trust WTT more so I am asking for confirmation of the information they gave me.
Thank you
Peter
If you are asking can you connect to the net via someone else's modem\router ?
The answer is Yes, either plug the Ethernet cable in, or ask them for the wireless code, and create a new connection via Wi-Fi, no different than you did with your own router, hope this helps, but as to legality, the ONLY time it would be illegal would be if you did not have permission to use that persons service, can't think of any other issues apart from that.
I have my own router and they have none. I will then set up as I do at home; cable to modem > router> desktop and let the wireless connect with my passphrase and hope both work.
Thank you
Peter
That is another kettle of fish, you would need someone with knowledge of that network to say for sure, in the UK some routers are hard coded to the address\phone number it's connecting from, these wont work anywhere else except the address they are set up for.
As a rule of thumb you can plug in a normal router to use ANY connection, the previous restriction is in the minority, but a router thats not hard coded can plug into ANY set up (assuming it's ready to take it), but usually you will need that persons connection details, and you would probably need to enter your router settings to input the new details, using your own details on someone else's connection is not something I would think would work, not in the UK at least, but if they have told you that it's possible then it can't hurt to try, if it fails try inputing the new connection details and try again, that should work if your one fails, hope this helps.
This should work fine. Comcast is a cable company and does now use PPPoE as far as I can tell (like DSL does) so you should be able to plug your router in as it is and use it wirelessley and wired with no problems.
This should work fine. Comcast is a cable company and does now use PPPoE as far as I can tell (like DSL does) so you should be able to plug your router in as it is and use it wirelessley and wired with no problems.
>>Yes, you are correct. I am typing with the wired set up as I did not want to involve her pc. It took one power cycle of each appliance and a reboot. I would love to involve her pc but I have to respect her privacy. I do think it would work just as if home. I never had the nerve to go online during the trip although there were many connections. I think Norton does a good job but I just feel better behind the router.
Thank you
Peter
Why without ERUNT? I use it on my Win 7 Pro X64 system and have since I installed it in August of 2009.
A System Restore point is another good way to backup the registry.