Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Setup Trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TUBA4

TUBA4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

For some time now i've had trouble with both of my '98- Dell dimensions, 466mhz, 384mb Ram, Updated Bios, Win98se, IE6-sp1, 30gb Hdd, McAfee personal Firewall v4.0, Enternet 300 DSL software going thru Covad. Both PCs are 1# apart in serial #s, so they are, for all intents & purposes, identical, "except" the other 1 is on a 56k modem. I bought these PCs used about 3 years ago. They were born as office PCs. I have tried 4 different ethernet cards & could only get the OEM (3com) card to work. I've been to the Dell forum but never got any responses to my difficulties. I'm presently having a problem getting routers to configure. I've tried Netgear, Linksys & now i'm about to buy a D-Link. I'd like to network these 2 via USB cable & also i'd like to install removable Hdd drawers so i can entertain myself with an assortment of different OSs. But the router issue is the #1 priority. Also later this year, "GOD will'n & the creek don't rise", i'd like to build a new PC because i can't find a PC online or locally that meets my specs & doesn't have that "OEM software junk bundle which i have absolutely no use for. So obviuosly, price will be the major guiding factor, although not definitive. I hope y'all will chime in with some advice. Fingers crossed! Thanks Y'all, TUBA4

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:21 PM

I dont think you'll have much luck networking the two via USB as I am quite sure only XP can be networked like that...I am sure you have thought of this but you do have sending and receiving cat5's right..?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 TUBA4

TUBA4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

I'm not aware of sending/receiving cat5s. There's a lot i don't know.

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:01 PM

Ok..in order to network them, you have to have sending and receiving cables. If I am not mistaken there color coded as well, like the sending is Grey and rec. is Yellow, or some thing like that. Now, with XP, you can network using USB. I havent done it but it says you can.

#5 TUBA4

TUBA4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:38 PM

5/12/04, 23:45 CDT: Are you referring to "straight thru & crossover Cat5/6/7s with RJ45s? I've been using USB devices for about 5yrs. but have never heard of send receive cables. However that doesn't address my dilemma with NICs & Routers. I hope someone will chime in with some useful info as i would like to move on instead of dewelling on side issues. Thanks for any info y'all. TUBA4

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:39 PM

5/12/04, 23:45 CDT:

Are you referring to "straight thru & crossover Cat5/6/7s with RJ45s? I've been using USB devices for about 5yrs. but have never heard of send receive cables.
However that doesn't address my dilemma with NICs & Routers. I hope someone
will chime in with some useful info as i would like to move on instead of dewelling
on side issues. Thanks for any info y'all.
TUBA4

uh...yes..what did you think sending and receiving ment. Striaght threw and crossover...sending and receiving. Try turning your firewall off.