This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Setup Trouble

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

For some time now i've had trouble with both of my '98- Dell dimensions, 466mhz, 384mb Ram, Updated Bios, Win98se, IE6-sp1, 30gb Hdd, McAfee personal Firewall v4.0, Enternet 300 DSL software going thru Covad. Both PCs are 1# apart in serial #s, so they are, for all intents & purposes, identical, "except" the other 1 is on a 56k modem. I bought these PCs used about 3 years ago. They were born as office PCs. I have tried 4 different ethernet cards & could only get the OEM (3com) card to work. I've been to the Dell forum but never got any responses to my difficulties. I'm presently having a problem getting routers to configure. I've tried Netgear, Linksys & now i'm about to buy a D-Link. I'd like to network these 2 via USB cable & also i'd like to install removable Hdd drawers so i can entertain myself with an assortment of different OSs. But the router issue is the #1 priority. Also later this year, "GOD will'n & the creek don't rise", i'd like to build a new PC because i can't find a PC online or locally that meets my specs & doesn't have that "OEM software junk bundle which i have absolutely no use for. So obviuosly, price will be the major guiding factor, although not definitive. I hope y'all will chime in with some advice. Fingers crossed! Thanks Y'all, TUBA4
I dont think you'll have much luck networking the two via USB as I am quite sure only XP can be networked like that…I am sure you have thought of this but you do have sending and receiving cat5's right..?
Ok..in order to network them, you have to have sending and receiving cables. If I am not mistaken there color coded as well, like the sending is Grey and rec. is Yellow, or some thing like that. Now, with XP, you can network using USB. I havent done it but it says you can.
5/12/04, 23:45 CDT: Are you referring to "straight thru & crossover Cat5/6/7s with RJ45s? I've been using USB devices for about 5yrs. but have never heard of send receive cables. However that doesn't address my dilemma with NICs & Routers. I hope someone will chime in with some useful info as i would like to move on instead of dewelling on side issues. Thanks for any info y'all. TUBA4

5/12/04, 23:45 CDT:

Are you referring to "straight thru & crossover Cat5/6/7s with RJ45s? I've been using USB devices for about 5yrs. but have never heard of send receive cables.
However that doesn't address my dilemma with NICs & Routers. I hope someone
will chime in with some useful info as i would like to move on instead of dewelling
on side issues. Thanks for any info y'all.
TUBA4

uh…yes..what did you think sending and receiving ment. Striaght threw and crossover…sending and receiving. Try turning your firewall off.