High speed DSL Modems ?
2 min read
I have DSL service from Cavalier formerly Talk America. I have one modem from them. I want another modem so that I can hook up another computer in the house at a different location.
Wireless network is not an option.
Do I have to get the additional modem from Cavalier for it to work or can I go to any computer store and pick up another modem that will work?
Thanks for your response.
Hi Mercury64,
What you would need is'nt a modem, but a router. The cable that runs from the modem to your computer now would go from the modem to the router, and then you would connect a cable (ethernet cat5) from the computer(s) to the new router.
Hope that help some.
I have DSL service from Cavalier formerly Talk America. I have one modem from them. I want another modem so that I can hook up another computer in the house at a different location.
Wireless network is not an option.
Do I have to get the additional modem from Cavalier for it to work or can I go to any computer store and pick up another modem that will work?
Thanks for your response.
Hi Mercury64,
What you would need is'nt a modem, but a router. The cable that runs from the modem to your computer now would go from the modem to the router, and then you would connect a cable (ethernet cat5) from the computer(s) to the new router.
Hope that help some.
Thanks for your response. I understand now that one phone line, one DSL line = one modem and I can't run another modem off same DSL line. I would have liked to have done another modem in a different location of the house rather than running wires from a wired modem for a long distance. Guess I will just have to have the two computers next to each other and go the router modem. Thanks again for taking time to respond.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI