This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Very slow boot up

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hoping someone can guide me with this. Over the last few weeks I have noticed the PC is taking much longer to boot up. After say 10 minutes it works at normal speed. I dont think I have a virus as such and have run various anti virus programmes. It appears like at boot up there is something taking a while to load and this stalls normal usage until it has done. When I shut down I have closed all browsers yet when I boot up next day I get a message that last browser closed unexpectantly, although I make sure nothing is running at close down. I have checked the task manager and cant see anything under processes (that I understand) causing any issues but not quite sure what I am looking for. Can someone point me in a direction that would enable me to check this out. thanks
Delays at boot like this (if not malware related) are typically caused by a bad hardware driver, or a bad device. So unplug any USB or other attached devices you don't need and try again. Look for any yellow warnings or red errors in Device Manager. Does booting into Safe Mode take forever too? If not, that again points to a driver. Did you map to a networked drive or connect to a networked device that is no longer there? Beyond that, you sadly, told us nothing of your machine, or which OS you are using so we know what we are dealing with.
Last night I took out 3 USB plugs and this morning it seems to boot up much quicker, I will try this a couple of times to make sure that this is where the issue is and then try and isolate the offending one. It looks like your suggestion has put me on the right track.
The USB plugs were for…. A connection I use for my digi camera when requiring to download from it. A webcam that covers the front of my house, always connected. An external hardrive, always connected. An extension thingy for USB plugs, only recently connected last few weeks and probably the likely culprit.
Yes I think USB hub is the correct terminology, The hub is connected into my tower and it is the lead for downloading from my digi camera that is plugged into the hub. the hub is plugged in always but only connect the camera as required. I seem to recall about 2 months ago I had the digicam plugged into the hub and was having issues with the digicam not working which makes me suspect the hub as the problem. I will plug the hub only (and not the other USB plugs) in tonight and see how it responds on boot up tomorrow.
It booted ok with the hub connected this morning but when I plugged the external drive (Philips) back in that took about 15 minutes to load up so it would appear that this is the offending item. I can access my folders on the external but I tried running a check for errors but it states`windows cant access the drive` Should I try and get updated drivers for it? or anything else to try first with it. thanks
I don't know what updated drivers there would be. Windows 7 should already know how to talk to it. What if you plugged the drive into your computer directly, and not through the hub? You might also try a different pair of USB ports as that often triggers a reconfiguration of the devices settings.
It is plugged in directly to the tower not through the hub. I can play around until I (hopefully) find a solution now that I know the culprit. Will also check it out on a laptop and see what happens. Thanks for directing me in the right direction.
At this point, you may be able to go back to the original ports, or just leave it where you have it now. It depends on if using the other ports forced a reconfiguration of the device setup and that fixed it, or if the original ports are faulty. If the reconfiguration is what fixed it, you could try to uninstall the device again, shut down (and unplug from the wall) move back to the original ports and boot up again (with fingers crossed).

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI