This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer slow

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer seems to run a bit slow at start-up, what I mean is, it takes a bit before I can actually open up IE and when I do it takes a bit for it to load, it eventually does, but just seems like it's running harder than usual, I will also get a message that I am running out of virtual memory so Windows has increased to help with that. I have done the Hijackthis and got a clean bill of health, and was asked to post this here, any help would be very muh appreciated! :)
Hello,
As you browse the Internet temporary files are stored on your computer from the sites that you go to.
As these files build up it takes your browser longer to load, and uses up space on your page file.
You can clean some of these up by downloading ATF cleaner.
(click on the purple letters)
This program will do a decent job of cleaning your temp. folder.
Follow the directions posted on the website the link takes you to.
From your HJT Log post:

I don;t know if I have too many programs running behind the scenes or what


A quick glance at your running programs suggest to me that could be the case.
However, it is up to you which items you prefer.

Have you recently added any of these programs or toolbars?

Best Regards
Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as HTML (name the report file - Startups Oct30.html)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Then as you are reviewing these items that are running actively, give use your own best judgment of the ones that you intentionally want to have running (and consuming resources) and the ones that you either don't recognize or think you can do without.

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
Open - My Computer or Windows Explorer. Right-click on C:\ Select - Properties The first screen that you see will tell you the size and usage of this hard drive Used Space Free Space Capacity for instance, my C:\ is as follows: Used Space 18.3 gb Free Space: 86.3gb Capacity : 104 gb Do you save Tunes and images to C:\ I'm wondering just how full your drive may have become. The information requested above will tell us. Thanks
Just a quick guess.
Other Compaq laptop owners have reported problems with slow-down of application and browser loading because of
Compaq Easy Access Support utility.

You do have that feature on your machine.
Do you use it?

Sorry about the series of posts and questions.
After you reply with the requested Report and comments and answers to the above, I'll have a better idea of whether or not my line of reasoning may be useful to help resolve your current problem.

There are certainly other considerations that can also be investigated.
And other Techs may very likely offer their suggestions as well.

Best Regards
Hi Doug,

sorry it took so long to get back to you, but the C drive is as follows

Used Space 16.1GB
Free Space 11.8GB
Capacity 27.9GB

I do save photos and tunes to my C drive however I usually burn the photos, and music well not always.

as for programs I don't think need to be running I have no idea what SynTPLpr is , also don't think Adobe Gamma Load
or ctfmon.exe don't know what that is CPQEASYACC I don't use that but looks like I have it, and HP Digital Imaging is the program for my printer that starts up when my computer starts however don't print too much so don't think it needs to be starting up.

Thanks for your help! :)
Hi nissa,

Sorry about my delay in replying.
I see that you've provided all of the information that I requested.

Using CodeStuff Starters you can "disable" unnecessary items by "removing" the "checkmark/tick" from in front of the selected item.

Consider Disabling the following.
  • AdaptecDirectCD
  • Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk
  • CPQEASYACC
  • HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk <– if you find that your Printer stops functioning the way you prefer, turn this one back on
  • iTunesHelper <– I'm not an iTunes user, so I don't know if you need this. Turn it back on if you do.
  • Microsoft Office.lnk
  • MSMSGS <– in almost all instances I would disable this, but you may be a regular user, and if so you may need this turned on
  • SunJavaUpdateSched

Do Not Disable:
  • SynTPenh
  • SynTPLpr

Special instructions for disabling ctfmon.exe
  • GoTo - START - Control Panel - Regional and Language
  • Select - Languages(tab)
  • Press = Details(button)
  • in the new panel that appears
  • Select - Advanced(tab)
  • Place a Checkmark/tick in front of the sentence "Turn off advanced text services
  • Apply
  • OK your way out of the panels.
_________________________

Perform the above and then let us know how your machine is running.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI