This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Buzzing Blue Screen after Windows starts

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm attaching the blue screen that pops up. I have had nothing but problems with this laptop. I know I need to download things to be able to fix this, but sometimes I can't even get windows started before the screen invades me. Other times I get Windows and during the first thing I start doing, I get the window… I have a HP Pavillion Entertainment dv4-2100 laptop. Running Windows 7. I have reinstalled to factory settings several times and thought it was ok, but this happened again and this time I have stuff I cannot lose. All of my photos! I will add a comment with the error screen.
Blue Screen 0x00000050: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" is usually caused by defective hardware. The first suspect would be your RAM (memory).

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

this time I have stuff I cannot lose. All of my photos!

top priority is to buy a usb stick or external hard drive or even copy them to cd's but back up all your data.

I have had nothing but problems with this laptop.

if it's new, i always suggest people take it back and get a replacement.

:popcorn:
I have been trying to do this for some time. I change the boot order to boot from the disk but it instead goes to the Windows Recovery Error screen. Then it goes to windows. I try Esc during startup and it does the same thing. I don't know what to do…
This is also one of the "dv" series of HP laptops which is subject to "heat" issues, often affecting onboard graphics chip.

This series has what must be the smallest and least well layed-out heat-sink and fan assembly ever created.

You may be in for ongoing problems.

Have a look here at HP's own mea culpa…
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…product=4121141

If you are not experienced and confident working inside of the case of a laptop, you should take the machine to a local shop to get an estimate. Dis-assembly and re-assembly is tedious and complex. If heat sink is clogged, the only way to clear it out is to completely dis-assemble the machine. It may also be found that the heat-sink-transfer assembly is not making good contact with the video chip and thereby not conveying the heat out to the fan.

*** Note: My comment is "worst case scenario" which in my experience does happen with these machines.
However, the other lines of investigation instructed by Ztruker above are worthy and can be performed before resorting to the comments that I have made here. Plus backing up your important documents and files, like Terry says, is a top priority.
You "might" be able to use a Linux Live boot CD to accomplish backup, but more likely need to remove the Hard Drive and attach it as "Slave" to a know-good running machine.

Best Regards
Amen to that Doug. I have a HP DV9500 with the lousy graphics heat sink setup. My video comes and goes whenever it wants, but I don't get any BSODs, just a really cruddy display. The only real fix is to replace the motherboard but then you will hit the same problem again in 2-3 years. There was a class action suite for this but I acquired mine used after the time had expired. Other than that it's a really nice laptop.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI