Hi…A friend of mine wiped the Windows I had on my laptop and replaced it with another (older) version much to my dismay…since then I have been getting blue screens with dump messages (whatever that means) with a couple of programs being unable to function…Google Earth being one of them that I can remember offhand. My friend told me he would fix it but it's been over a month of waiting so I thought I would ask for your help once again. Thankyou
Belinda
Hi, devonrexcatz,
Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
Presumably you were experiencing serious problems with it and this is why your friend wiped it and installed an older version of Windows?
We need a lot more information from you before we can start offering advice, so please let us have answers to the following:
1 Make and model number of your computer
2 operating system installed, full details please (the one that was wiped ) including service pack level
3 By "wiped" do you mean that the hard drive was formatted?
4 What operating system was subsequently installed by your friend? full details please including service pack level
5 Does your Windows operating system use Windows Update satisfactorily, and is it now fully up to date with all important /security/and critical updates?
6 Does the 25 character Windows serial product key on your Certificate of Authenticity match the one that your friend used when the older operating system was installed?
7 When do the blue screens occur, please try to describe what you are doing when the machine blue screens
8 What is the blue screen error code….. please accurately record all the information on the blue screen and include it in your next reply.
9 It may help if your run the following application "who crashed 3.02" and copy back to us the output. Its available from here:
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
10 When your friend installed the earlier version of Windows did he (or did you) install the motherboard chip set drivers, video driver, audio driver, network driver etc. etc? or did you just rely on Windows providing native/generic support?
If you can get back to us with as much information on the above lines as possible then it will give us a starting point so we will be able to identify a suitable set of procedures that will help you.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
Thanks so much for responding and helping me. It was a roundabout set of circumstances that resulted in the wipe but originally the problem was a cd drive that kept popping out.
1 LG P1 Express Dual Laptop
2 Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (Don't know the wiped one but he said the newly installed one was older).
3 I know that he had to put on a version of Windows he had on a disk.
4 Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service pack 3.0
5 Yes it updates regularly.
6 I really don't know (doesn't seem to be 25 characters).
7 I can't remember exactly but I have taken photos of some blue screen info on my phone if you want info from those.
8 One Error Code was; Stop 0x40000080 (0x86619130, 0x85FAE8F0, 0xF7c8EB8C, 0x000000001)
9 System Information (local)
——————————————————————————–
computer name: BELINDA
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Genuine Intel® CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 1072082944 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2045095936
On Wed 14/09/2011 11:25:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: agr1310_51.sys (AGR1310_51+0x68D5)
Bugcheck code: 0x40000080 (0xFFFFFFFF866749B8, 0xFFFFFFFF85F03C10, 0xFFFFFFFF80556FE8, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\agr1310_51.sys
product: Agere Systems PCI Express Ethernet Adapter
company: Agere Systems
description: Agere Systems PCI Express Ethernet Adapter
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: agr1310_51.sys (Agere Systems PCI Express Ethernet Adapter, Agere Systems).
Google query: agr1310_51.sys Agere Systems CUSTOM_ERROR
1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:
agr1310_51.sys (Agere Systems PCI Express Ethernet Adapter, Agere Systems)
10 He said he had trouble getting a driver for something…cd I think
Hi Thanks for the information..it looks as though it could be a network driver issue…can you answer Q10 in my previous post please?
Is this your computer? http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3229
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
Yes I did answer question 10 though the answer was pretty feeble, haha (it is at the bottom of the crash dump analysis)…anyway I just text the guy who replaced windows and he said he got the drivers off the LG website :))
Yes this is my computer.
Thankyou
Hi, Ok I had another look at the answer to Q10 but I'm still not sure if he installed the the motherboard chip set drivers, video driver, audio driver, network driver etc. etc?
Can you shed any light on that issue please?
Let's try a slightly different tack and see if we can get Windows update to check on the Network Driver….. here's how:
1 Click on Start
2 Right click on My Computer
3 Click on Properties
4 Click on Hardware (tab at the top of the window)
5 Click on Device Manager
6 Scroll down to Network Adapters
Are there any yellow or red markers against either of your network adapters ( Note you should have two adapters showing your wired connection and your wireless connection)
7 double click on your wireless adapter ….. is it set to enabled? if not make it so.
8 Try your Internet connection see if this helps….. give it a thorough trial…but make sure that your laptop is close to your wireless Access Point/Router/Gateway, that is to say within 2 metres (6 feet 6")
if its still not good then:
9 right click your wireless adapter in Device Manager and click on Update driver….. see if this does the trick
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
I did everything up to number 9. No updates were found. Do I put the wireless device back to disabled?
He said he got all the necessary drivers mentioned above from an LG website
Thankyou
Belinda
Hi Belinda
if you want to use the wireless adapter then it should be set to "Enabled"
See if the steps so far have helped
I have a couple of "fall back positions" for you should there be no improvement, so let us know how things go.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
The wireless is disabled because the connection was slow; my friend therefore decided to run a cable from the router to the computer instead; my speed is much faster.
Thankyou
Belinda
Hi Belinda
OK I understand…. yes if you are running with an Ethernet cable twix router and computer you can disable the wireless ( if you want) as it will usually provide quicker Internet.
Re you still getting crashes?
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
I have not had any crashes since I've made contact with you but I tested Google Earth, which was one of the programs that caused crashes, and the images keep breaking up into pieces that look like a jigsaw puzzle and this is what it did the other times it caused crashes. What is happening though is my laptop will not turn off completely these last 3 nights…I pull the plug out when I close it down but a green light stays on the whole time; this morning I lifted the lid to log on and windows shut down…have I accidentally pressed something and the computer won't turn off?
Thankyou
Belinda
Hi Belinda
it was good to hear that the crashes seem to be keeping away…..
…I pull the plug out when I close it down but a green light stays on the whole time; this morning I lifted the lid to log on and windows shut down…have I accidentally pressed something and the computer won't turn off?
The above could indicate that you are not shutting down your computer ,but are putting it into a state of temporary "hibernation"
Try this:
When your computer is running OK and with only one account logged on (if you have multi accounts on your machine) then commence the shutdown procedure:
1 Click on Start
2 Click on "Turn Off Computer" …not "log off"!
3 Click on "Turn off" not "stand by" or anything else!
4 wait until the screen goes blank (should be 40seconds or less as a rule, unless updates are being processed)
NOTE you should leave the laptop's lid in the "UP" position………. shutting the lid can initiate another set of commands…..
Does this improve the shutdown performance?
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
There are 4 lights on the front of the laptop…the one that looks like a battery, the 3rd one along, is the one that won't shut off…I did your test (leaving the lid up till the turnoff was complete) but the light still won't turn off (just slowly flashes).
Belinda
Hi Paws
Sorry but I have not been on this computer very much since we last spoke and did not get back to you to thank you for all of your help.
Regards the comp not turning off; my friend had a look at the battery compartment at the back of the laptop and it was not locked in place…I had disengaged the casing somehow and the battery was trying to charge all the time…anyway all fixed now. So thankyou!!!
Belinda
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI