Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TurpinLT

TurpinLT

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

My main computer cannot connect to the internet and I don't know where to start. The computer is running XP and is connected via ethernet cable to my router. the light on the router assigned to the slot the cable is in is on and the light next to the input on the computer is on but nothing will connect to the internet. Help!

Edited by TurpinLT, 25 December 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums, and the compliments of the season to you;
Here are some steps that you could take:
1 please go to: Start>Control Panel>Network Connections....your LAN should be shown/set to "connected" or "enabled" (Generally you should only have one enabled connection , but for this you can ignore the 1394 (Firewire) connection ( if shown) as this does not interfere with things.)
2 Right click on your (Lan) connection
3 Click on Properties
4 Scroll to Internet Protocol TCP/IP and highlight it and click on Properties
5 ensure that there is a dot in the radio buttons labelled:
obtain an IP address auto..... and
obtain DNS server address auto......
6 Click OK
7 Still in Control Panel go to:
Internet Options
Click on the Connections Tab
ensure there is a dot in the radio button "Never dial a connection"
OK your way out.
7A Check that your network adaptor is recognised (look in Device Manager ,Start>Right Click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager) check that the card is present and that there is no Yellow or Red marker against it
In Device Manager make sure that the properties for your network adaptor card show that it is working correctly.

8 Now power cycle your router/modem, as set out below:

1. Shut down your system.
2. Unplug the power cable from your modem
3. Unplug your power cable from your router
4. Keep them unplugged for about 3 or 4 minutes, this will clear out the junk and let them reset themselves.
5. Plug the power cable for the modem back in and make sure all the lights come on
6. Plug the power to your router back in and wait until all the lights come on.
7. Boot up your system and check your internet connection.

9 Next Try your Internet connection for a short test with your software firewall and your anti virus turned off (don't forget to turn it on when you have done. and don't do anything like downloading emails with your AV off!)

10 If you now have Internet then.......... rejoice........
if not:
11 Go here and download winsockfix
http://www.softpedia...load-15337.html
12 be sure to read all the instructions and notes before you run it (also create a System Restore Point...Start>all Programs>Accessories>System Tools> System Restore) Now please repeat all the stages of Step 8 again....
Has this helped?
if not, then:

13 Please now go to Start>run and in the white box type
cmd
at the command prompt, type
ipconfig /all
(note the space is necessary)
hit the enter key
and copy the output into your reply so we can see what is currently going on,
when you have finished type
exit
hit the enter key
and the command prompt will disappear

Let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 23 January 2010 - 02:31 AM.
link updated

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 derrensmiths

derrensmiths

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:53 PM

Thanks paws, This information has proved helpful to me as I was facing the same problem, also the link that you had uploaded had many new stuff in it. Thanks once again for sharing this information.
Edited: Advertisement links not allowed.