I finally found a key on the bottom of my laptop. May I ask,"If I have an XP disc, could I use it to install ina VM?
Let me read your referrals and thank you.
I have read all the referrals - thanx.
I still don't get the key issue in its most elemmentary form.
For example,I found a key on the bottom of my Dell OEM laptop and also desktop and both came preloaded with Win 7.
IIs this the key for each?
.
I had a Dell xp preloaded .
Is the key you are referring to on the pc itself like the one I just found on my pcs?
If so,I could use the xp key I gave my neighbor with the key on the machine to install in the VM -?
The physical key we are discussing has to be somewhere if not on the disc itself, I would think.
No, OEM keys are tied to the computer they were sold with. Only a Retail version could be moved to a different computer, or in your case a Virtual Machine.
i don't think you own a windows os that you can use in the vm and legally activate. both your win7 os are already installed and being used and the xp one belongs to your neighbour.
yes you can install win7 and use it for a while just "don't" activate it.
yes you can install xp and use it for a while just "don't" activate it.
for both of these options you won't be able to get any updates, security fixes for the os.
best option is use win8 it's in development and is free to download and try, this you can legally activate with the provided key and you will get any/all updates as they are released.
other option is to try a free linux operating system.
i don't really know how we can explain it any easier for you to understand peter, but if you're still a bit confused just ask and we'll see what we can do.
I still don't get the key issue in its most elemmentary form.
every time you install a windows operating system you have to input it's product key, every windows os has it's own product key so you can not use a key for win7 to install xp and vice versa.
For example,I found a key on the bottom of my Dell OEM laptop and also desktop and both came preloaded with Win 7.
IIs this the key for each?
yes that is the product key for the os installed on each machine, note even tho they both have the same version of win7 installed each os has a different product key.
I had a Dell xp preloaded .
Is the key you are referring to on the pc itself like the one I just found on my pcs?
the key is any one that works for the operating system your installing. win7 keys for win7 os, xp keys for xp os, but the key can only ever be used on one pc at a time.
If so,I could use the xp key I gave my neighbor with the key on the machine to install in the VM -?
yes you could use the xp key when installing the xp os, BUT not legally and if you activate it you will probably render both the os on your vm AND the os on your neighbours pc useless because they are using the same key.
The physical key we are discussing has to be somewhere if not on the disc itself, I would think.
had a memory flash and why this post, if i remember correctly didn't you go out and buy a retail copy of win7 even tho both your pc's came with win7 pre-installed?
if yes the key should be on the case/packing somewhere and as long as you haven't used it to do an install on either the laptop or desktop then you can just install win7 in the vm with that key and activate it without any problems.
Rich
Am jammed up with video so am abandoning this thread and thank you all for your help.
If you have time I am going to start thread re video -thank you
Peter
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI