Software
virtual computer
8 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
Hello [Win 7,i5 1T,3.30 GHz]
I went to the MS site and it seems as though I cannot run the VM on my pc with 64 byte.
Is there another way to install a VM on my computer?
Thank you
terry1966
Ztruker
By VM, do you mean XP Mode or something else?
I 2nd Terry's suggestion. I use Oracle Virtual Box as well and am very happy with it. I run XP Pro as a client under it and it boots in 10-15 seconds when needed. I've also run various version of Linux, Windows 98 SE, DOS 6.1 and Windows 7 X86 under it.
terry1966
edited. :- yes i think he's talking about running a 64bit environment in win7's virtual pc like it's xp mode.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx
as you know tho running 64bit guest os on 64bit win7 host is not a problem with virtualbox.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx
as you know tho running 64bit guest os on 64bit win7 host is not a problem with virtualbox.
Peter1
I am glad to get advice because a person told me to get a virtual operating system because I like to experiment in order to learn.
However, I then bumped into which virtual os to use.
I have Win 7 Home premium, 64 byte, i5, and one pc has 1T and the other 640GB. Desk = 3.30 Ghz and lap = 2.53 GHz.
I hope this will help me decide which to use.
Is it worth using on a family pc as I have no older pcs to try it on.
As you know from my history I have gotten into trouble by trying new things.This is why I was considering the virtual concept which I have heard can be delelted if there was a problem.
I edited because you mention xp and that threw me off as I did not understand it.
So it appears there are various vm's but the Oracle Virtual Box is best for my pcs.
Thank you
PS I went to Oracle Virtual box.and there are some choices to make.
Would it be possible for you to sort of help a bit with some of these choices/steps?
Thank you
Ztruker
From here: Downloads: Oracle VM VirtualBox
You want:
What other choices are you talking about?
You want:
VirtualBox binaries By downloading, you agree to the terms and conditions of the respective license. VirtualBox platform packages. The binaries are released under the terms of the GPL version 2. VirtualBox 4.1.16 for Windows hosts x86/amd64
What other choices are you talking about?
terry1966
this is the direct download link you need for windows hosts. http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/…6-78094-Win.exe
it's the top choice from ztruckers link.

it's the top choice from ztruckers link.
Peter1
For example, after you install the box, do you need to install xp?
Btw, I just had lunch with the wife of Oracle's management team. Coincidence?
terry1966
once you install it and start it running you will need to first setup the virtual hardware/drive then you'll install whatever operating system you want to run in the virtual pc, this could be osx, linux or any of the windows operating systems you have a license for.
the good thing about vm's is that you can setup multiple virtual pc's each with a different os and just start the one you want to, when you want it.
lots of tutorials and help out there on setup and use, here's a video of someone installing virtualbox.
edit added link for newer version of virtual box. :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XajMLO8v65w
and here's the older link of someone installing win7 on an older version of virtualbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSebbqBQQo
notice in this one he already had a virtual xp machine installed and was adding a win7 virtual pc.

the good thing about vm's is that you can setup multiple virtual pc's each with a different os and just start the one you want to, when you want it.
lots of tutorials and help out there on setup and use, here's a video of someone installing virtualbox.
edit added link for newer version of virtual box. :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XajMLO8v65w
and here's the older link of someone installing win7 on an older version of virtualbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSebbqBQQo
notice in this one he already had a virtual xp machine installed and was adding a win7 virtual pc.
Peter1
I see.
After the virtual box is installed oracle or not, drivers etc must be installed then the os you wish such as xp.
I am pprobably wrong but I thought one of the VMs had the drivers installed -no?
terry1966
no you don't need to add any drivers, just run the vm program which will take you through the steps needed to create a virtual pc every time you want to create a new vm with a different os.
this means your telling the software how big a harddrive you want the vm to have, how much memory it can have, how many cores you want it's virtual cpu to have etc. then once that's done you start the virtual pc up and the first thing you'll have to do is install an os to run on it, just like a real pc.

Ztruker
I would strongly suggest taking all defaults when you create the VM client, at least the first time. Then play with it and see what you think.
Peter1
I would strongly suggest taking all defaults when you create the VM client, at least the first time. Then play with it and see what you think.
>>.Good idea. In order to install an os other than the one you have, do you need a key?
Would it be advantageous to install the same one youa re running? That way if you err you can remove it?
I would then use the Oracle virtual box, follow defaults and when done install my Win & x64 that I am running.
Ztruker
You will need a new key to install the same Win 7 you are currently running. Ditto if you are running X64 and wanted to install X86 in a VM. MS will not allow you to activate it since it is already in use. I know this as I've already tried it.
Peter1
You will need a new key to install the same Win 7 you are currently running. Ditto if you are running X64 and wanted to install X86 in a VM. MS will not allow you to activate it since it is already in use. I know this as I've already tried it.
>>Good idea though
I guess you need a key to install any operating system in any VM -correct? Or does the VM to xp not require it?
If the xp one does nort require a key what is the best one to use?
How do you get a new key -buy it?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI