This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

virtualizattion

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I wanted to explain something I learned in my attempt to build a VM.

My computer's BIOS said virtualization enabled and my task manager said virtualization enabled also.

I thought My Intel Processor supported virtualization. I was wrong as these only referred to Hyper V whether enabled or not under features and programs.

I ran the Intl tool, two separate tools which told me my machine does not support virtualization.

I tried Hyper V only to find out it is for professionals and the guests cost.

When I get a machine that has virtualization I will likely use Virtual box as I found it fairly easy to set up for the average user. With my machine and due to its limitations, all was 32 bit so I discontinued. Although it did not work due to its limited architecture it was easier than Vmware and others.

I hope most of this information is accurate and helps someone else who is on the chase to use virtualization. I also hope it saves a lot of time for those with similar limitations.

FYI if you use system restore with windows 1803 be sure to perform this action in safe mode or it will balk with ransomware and other features of Windows 110.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, Peter, but perhaps someone can explain your problem to me.

 

I've installed virtual box on Windows XP and Windows 7 systems.  I don't know anything about Hyper V.  In the 4 or 5 times that I've set up virtual box, I have never had any need to go into bios to enable virtualization.

 

Also, in your tower thread you say "Also Virtual Box could run on 250 GB SSD but 500 is recommended, I believe."  The Vboxes I've set up are 2,4, or 8 GB.  I only have a 250 GB hard drive in the computer I'm currently typing on and VBox works fine.

 

As I said, I use VirtualBox - but that doesn't mean I, necessarily, understand it.  What am I missing with Peters problems?

I checked my chip and it does not support virtualization as a 64 bit machine. I cannot speak to your machine, Tom.

I did thoroughly go through this on another forum and I need a different machine or at least a different chip.

Are your guests 32 bit?

Sorry Peter.  I don't know what a guest is.  Do you mean my VM's?  If so, I have always installed 64 bit vm's on 64 bit systems and 32 bit vm's on 30 bit systems.

 

I have always installed the VM in a system running windows.  So how I install the VM is based upon what windows system is running… rather than the chip.

I guess I'm glad also… although, I don't necessarily "need" the VM's.  I just use them to play with other operating systems.

 

What I was hoping, with my injecting myself in your thread, is that one of the Tech guys that understand this stuff, could explain what is special about your chip that doesn't allow you to just install VirtualBox without messing with the BIOS.

 

Here's the deal.  When I set up and run a VM on my machine… My system, for all practical purposes, thinks I'm running a CD player (that doesn't really exist… it's virtual).  I believe that my BIOS only "sees" (if you will) the windows operating system.  It doesn't know anything about the VM or the system running on it.  At least that's how I think I understand it.  I wan't to know what is different when you try to set it up.  Perhaps it's a Windows 10 thing?  I'm just a curious kind of a guy and would like to have a rudimentary understanding of - well - everything.

And that is where I get confused.  Virtualbox, VMware and Microsoft Virtual PC shouldn't take any hardware assisted virtualization.  I believe they can use it… but it is not required.  It should run fine with any processor that is capable of running Windows 7 or newer… and many that are even older.  The technology goes back to the 70's.  They provide software based virtualization.

Intel confirmed that my processor is not capable of handling a supporting virtualization when I did construct a virtual machine any and all guests were 32-bit and none could be entered as 64.
I wish I could add more but I don't know as much as you do let me ask if it is true that a CPU cannot support virtualization does the machine itself support virtualization regardless?
I am on my phone and away from my machine so my communication skills are rather Limited

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI